Your favourite English accent

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Maïwenn
Modératrice Arts & Litté.

Post by Maïwenn »

try again wrote:hey,does anyone watch “braokeback moutain”? do u understand the accent there?
i think it is quite diffrent from the normal american accent ,the accent we usually hear and talk。do u think so?
yes, that was pretty hard to understand. But, besides the accent, it's also because they didn't articulate much. Too busy to open their mouths properly, I guess ;)
Penn ar Bed
The end of the land
Le commencement d'un monde
Demona
Membre / Member

Post by Demona »

ANTHOS wrote: You should know that my accent is the London accent (Cockney).
hello,
Too bad I didn't know that before. My degree work was about Cockney.
As to accents, then at this point I am really fond of Scottish and Irish accents. "Trainspotting" (movie) is a masterpiece from this point of view.
My own accent--have no idea. Been taught RP, what came out of it is hard to tell :)
Last edited by Demona on 25 Jul 2006 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
try again
Membre / Member

Post by try again »

hmm hmmm,which guy here can speak RP accent?
im really like that accent.i hope i can make friends with u~!~
try again~!~
Don't give up on your love
When you fall down ,Just try again \^.^/
boulevard
Membre / Member

Post by boulevard »

J wrote: That depends ! I suppose some of them do but most of the time I think it's possible to tell. I think it's generally easier for British actors to do an American accent..
boulevard wrote: Another question : What accent did Nicole Kidman have in The Others ?(Please don't tell me it was RP)
The same question for Catherine Zeta Jones.
I think Nicole Kidman was doing an RP ? Catherine Zeta Jones has a very mixed accent, a combination of welsh, RP (or close to it) and American. She tends to change it depending on what country she's in which can be quite funny and Dawn French (British comedian) did a sketch about it. At the Oscars (or some award thing) she surprised the audiance with a strong welsh accent when she was probably expected to have an american one.
boulevard wrote: The last question : Did anyone like Scarlet O'hara's accent ?
Sorry, don't know who that is. Is that stupid of me ? :lol:

I have a question...
I've seen a lot of talk about different accents in the English language. Isn't there a large variety of French accents too ? Or has no one thought of making a topic about it ? Or maybe I've missed it :loljump:

Oh, I'm really sorry I didn't keep up with the subject, I missed some interesting posts.
Thank you J for answering my questions.
Well, Scarlett O'Hara is the lead character in the American novel Gone with the Wind, written by Margaret Michell in 1936,( I think).
A lot about the war between states in the US is involved.

The novel was turned into a great movie in 1939 (according to my grandfather) played by Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable, it won several Academy Awards, one of the nominees (and winners) was Hattie McDaniel the first black to be nominated for such an award ( I believe she was best supporting-actress for the role as Mammy, she was a nanny or something). Sorry, I got carried away but the novel is one of favorites. :love: :confused:

so, what I meant by my question was : did you like Vivien Leigh's accent in that movie ?

By the way : the variety of French accents drove me crazy especailly the Canadian one, to me, it's barely French.
Same for other accent's in France. The best one is the Parisian accent of course !!! ( or so I believe) :confused:

Thanks again.
Tomorow never dies
"We must win. The winning side will be happier."
~Toyotama team, SLAM DUNK
ANTHOS
Membre / Member

Post by ANTHOS »

Demona wrote:
ANTHOS wrote: You should know that my accent is the London accent (Cockney).
hello,
Too bad I didn't know that before. My degree work was about Cockney.
As to accents, then at this point I am really fond of Scottish and Irish accents. "Trainspotting" (movie) is a masterpiece from this point of view.
My own accent--have no idea. Been taught RP, what came out of it is hard to tell :)
Oh, that's interesting. What was the topic and what were your findings?
Tyori
Membre / Member

Re: Your favourite English accent

Post by Tyori »

Whenever someone asks me to speak another language, they tell me I have practically no accent at all. Which I find both flattering and irritating at the same time. What am I?? A parrot?! D< When I speak english though, I have a a canadian accent. Minus the stupid sounding hockey crap and the 'eh' that's apparrently part of our culture. The only time we say 'eh' is when we're joking about being canadian! XD LOL!

I really like a hint of british or... something... I don't know what you'd call it. My friend has a decided accent on her Rs and something else we can't quite pinpoint?? She's never been around anyone with an accent so we're not sure how she got it. She's not deaf, before you ask, and she's had it her whole life despite her constant wish to be rid of it. The closest I can guess is british; all I know is it's FREAKIN' SWEET! >D
ceiligirl49
Membre / Member

Post by ceiligirl49 »

Don't know if I have a favorite English accent; I do like some of Scottish and Irish accents I've heard in various movies. Liam Neeson in Rob Roy was nice to listen to. As for American accents, I was born in New York City, worked in Washington D.C., lived in Portland, Oregon for 30 years, been all over the US and there are SO many different "American" accents, from NYC to DC to New Jersey, Maine, the South, the Southwest, Texas, California, the Mid-West, everyplace has it's own accent. When I got back to Portland after living on the East Coast for four years, people asked me where I was from, as I had a DC/Maryland/Virginia accent that was very odd. I have a friend in Sydney, Australia and just from talking with her, I can do a credible Aussie accent. BTW, Scarlett O'Hara's accent always sounded phony to me... ;)
pc2
Membre / Member

Post by pc2 »

we particularly like the British English accents (there are many only in England, but we don't know very well how to differentiate each one from the other).
as for our accents, we speak English like most English-speaking Brazilians do. as expected, it is based on the US English accent. in our opinion, Brazilians have their own English accent, just as, for instance, Spanish speakers have their own and French speakers have their own.
one reason why we prefer the British English accents is because of the final "R" (in words like are, mother, etc.). we don't like the US English final "R", so we tend omit it when we can (and the final "R" in British English accents we have heard is less "strong", being generally indistinguishable from a vowel).
Merci de corriger notre français si nécessaire.
Paulo Marcos -- & -- Claudio Marcos
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil
Khing38

Post by Khing38 »

I don't have favorite English accent because for me, It doesn't matter what country's accent you have. You need to be clear in speech, and pronounce each syllable correctly. As long as anyone can understand what you are saying, your accent just does not matter. And it's also up to the learner of the speech if he want to learn good speech or not. It is a matter of motivating him/herself on that way. Today an American friend told me he could definitely identify me as Indian by my speech, but did not have any problems understanding me. That is the biggest compliment I could receive - I stand as a representative of my country, but one who can be understood by anyone. :jap: