is this short english text correct?

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

perik
Membre / Member

is this short english text correct?

Post by perik »

d
Last edited by perik on 25 Jan 2010 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Vera
Membre / Member

Re: is this short english text correct?

Post by Vera »

I see that you have had some replies in the same thread you started on the WordReference Forums. This, I presume, is your final vesion:
Kopparmärra - a statue weighing 6,659 kilos, 5.6 meters in height and 88% copper, depicting King Charles IX seated on a horse.
On September 7, 1904, the statue was unveiled and inaugurated with much fanfare at Östra Hamngatan.
Thirty-one years later it was decided to move the statue due to the increasing traffic. The following year it was relocated to Kungsportsplatsen.
I would suggest these changes:
Kopparmärra - a statue weighing 6,659 kilos, 5.6 metres in height and made of 88% copper, depicting King Charles IX seated on a horse.
On 7 September 1904, the statue was unveiled and inaugurated with pomp and ceremony at Östra Hamngatan.
Thirty-one years later it was decided to move the statue due to the increasing traffic. The following year it was relocated to Kungsportsplatsen.
Note: The definite article is unnecessary before “increasing traffic”; if you include it, however, you need to say something more, e.g. “due to the increasing traffic in the area”. Note also that “metres” is the British spelling, and that you would write “September 7, 1904” only for the Americans – otherwise you keep the day–month–year format (which I think is a much more logical order :P).
~~~Vera~~~
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Re: is this short english text correct?

Post by solbjerg »

hi perik
Is it really called the "copper filly" officially?
Cheers
solbjerg
perik wrote:Hi!

I'm trying to translate a very short text from swedish into english and wounder if this text is correct in english:
Kopparmärra - a 6 659 kilogram statue, 5.6 meters high and 88% (in) parts copper depicting king Charles IX sitting on a horse.
On September 7, 1904 the statue was unveiled and inaugurated (with) under much fanfare at Östra Hamngatan.
Thirty-one years later, it was decided that the statue due to an increase in traffic would be moved. The following year, the statue was moved to Kungsportsplatsen.
The original swedish text is here:
Kopparmärra - en 6 659 kilo tung staty, 5,6 meter hög och till 88% bestående av koppar föreställande Karl IX sittandes på en häst.
Den 7 september 1904 avtäcktes och invigdes statyn med pompa och ståt på Östra Hamngatan.
Trettioett år senare, bestämdes det att statyn p.g.a. stigande trafik skulle flyttas. Året därpå flyttades statyn till Kungsportsplatsen.
Thanks for your corrections in the english text

P