Is this danish sentence correct ?

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Tuorem
Membre / Member

Is this danish sentence correct ?

Post by Tuorem »

I asked a member to translate a sentence from French to Danish and this is the result :

"Det er himmelblå hörer kun til dig"

The french text it comes from is about someone describing someone else's eyes, (the blue sky colour is used to avoid terms like eyes, look, etc). In english, we would translate "This sky blue only belongs to you".

Because the person who translated wasn't sure :

Can somebody tell me if this sentence in Danish is correct grammatically ?
And then, does it sound weird in Danish ?...

We all know that translations including rhetorical figures might be unnatural from a language to another.

If you've got questions to understand better, or if you've got the solution.
Thanks in advance.
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Re: Is this danish sentence correct ?

Post by solbjerg »

Hi Tuorem
The translated sentence gives no clear meaning and is rather clumsy - hard to grasp.

The sky blue belongs to you I would also say would be better if you said the color of the blue sky belongs (totally) just to you.

In that case I would translate it with:
Himlens blå farve hører fuldstændig sammen med dig. (The blue color of heaven belongs totally to you)
Den himmelblå farve står fuldstændig til dig (The sky blue color is totally you)
Den himmelblå farve passer helt til dig (You go totally with the blue color of heaven)
Cheers
solbjerg
p.s. If it has to be in 10 poetic feet (prosody)
I think I would use this to descibe it in either a verse or in a romantic note to a girl:
Himlens farve er i dine øjne
The color of heaven is in your eyes

Does it matter that eyes are mentioned?
In British English color is spelled colour.

Tuorem wrote:I asked a member to translate a sentence from French to Danish and this is the result :

"Det er himmelblå hörer kun til dig"

The french text it comes from is about someone describing someone else's eyes, (the blue sky colour is used to avoid terms like eyes, look, etc). In english, we would translate "This sky blue only belongs to you".

Because the person who translated wasn't sure :

Can somebody tell me if this sentence in Danish is correct grammatically ?
And then, does it sound weird in Danish ?...

We all know that translations including rhetorical figures might be unnatural from a language to another.

If you've got questions to understand better, or if you've got the solution.
Thanks in advance.
ElieDeLeuze
Membre / Member

Re: Is this danish sentence correct ?

Post by ElieDeLeuze »

He already asked in another forum... he means det her...
It sounds nice in french but it is very unnatural in danish. Poetry is an art form... now we know why. :roll: