pronounciation

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

solbjerg
Membre / Member

pronounciation

Post by solbjerg »

Please could someone tell me how to pronounce "Darrieus" (you know the one with the vertical windmill.)
I like to say the name as it is pronounced in his native country - France.
Thanks
solbjerg
Olivier
Membre / Member

Re: pronounciation

Post by Olivier »

Darrieus seems to be an Occitan name (Darri(e)u: of the river), the final s might have been added in French. The man most probably pronounced it in French the French way: [daʁjø].
If you need the closest possible English sounds, it could be written: darr-yuh, with uh meaning a sound (French eu) close to the unstressed a in "above".
Stress is light and is on the last syllable like in all French words.
-- Olivier
Se nem kicsi, se nem nagy: Ni trop petit(e), ni trop grand(e):
Éppen hozzám való vagy! Tu es juste fait(e) pour moi!
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Post by solbjerg »

Hi Olivier
Thank you!
I saw somewhere that Darrieuz was pronounced like dar-sjø and wondered if there were any difference if the final character was s instead of the z ?
Darrieus is the French patent holder of a vertical windmill.
Cheers
solbjerg

="Olivier"]Darrieus seems to be an Occitan name (Darri(e)u: of the river), the final s might have been added in French. The man most probably pronounced it in French the French way: [daʁjø].
If you need the closest possible English sounds, it could be written: darr-yuh, with uh meaning a sound (French eu) close to the unstressed a in "above".
Stress is light and is on the last syllable like in all French words.
-- Olivier[/quote]
Anuanua
Membre / Member

Post by Anuanua »

Did you know, solbjerg, that Darrieus windmills (also nicknamed "eggbeaters") can also be mounted horizontally? In this configuration, they can be quite usefull in dense urban environments, allowing large buidings to supply cheaply some of their energy requirements.
I te rahiraa o te taime, mea pāpū aè te reo ia taì mai i te mafatu, e mea haavarevare roa atoā rä o ia.
La langue est souvent plus éloquente, mais aussi plus trompeuse que le coeur.
Sisyphe
Freelang co-moderator
Location: Au premier paquet de copies à gauche après le gros dico

Post by Sisyphe »

Hi Olivier
Thank you!
I saw somewhere that Darrieuz was pronounced like dar-sjø and wondered if there were any difference if the final character was s instead of the z ?
Cheers
solbjerg
As said Anuanua, "Darrieu" is a south-originated name, but very common. The ending -s was not originaly a mistaken additive letter, but the marking of nominative-case, in both northern and southern ancient french. Such an -s might become an -x or a -z after a 'u', which was nothing but a mere graphical change (scribes often wrote actually "Diarriex" - a spelling one can also found - with "EX" being a ligature, i.e. a contextual writing for EUS). It can also disappears, being "slurred" in some dialects of occitan. Mereover, ending consonants are ordinary mute in french.

I did not know the existence of Georges Darrieus, but he must have pronounced his name like the famous french actress Danielle Darrieux, i.e. [daʁjø], as said Olivier.
La plupart des occasions des troubles du monde sont grammairiennes (Montaigne, II.12)
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Post by solbjerg »

Hi Sisyphe
Thank you very much! (goes for Olivier too :-) ) Very informative!! - I will henceforth use the "daʁjø" pronounciation :-)
Cheers
solbjerg

Sisyphe wrote:
Hi Olivier
Thank you!
Cheers
solbjerg
As said Anuanua, "Darrieu" is a south-originated name, but very common. The ending -s was not originaly a mistaken additive letter, but the marking of nominative-case, in both northern and southern ancient french. Such an -s might become an -x or a -z after a 'u', which was nothing but a mere graphical change (scribes often wrote actually "Diarriex" - a spelling one can also found - with "EX" being a ligature, i.e. a contextual writing for EUS). It can also disappears, being "slurred" in some dialects of occitan. Mereover, ending consonants are ordinary mute in french.

I did not know the existence of Georges Darrieus, but he must have pronounced his name like the famous french actress Danielle Darrieux, i.e. [daʁjø], as said Olivier.
Anuanua
Membre / Member

Post by Anuanua »

Sisyphe wrote:As said Anuanua, "Darrieu" is a south-originated name, but very common.
"I" said that???

Actually I did work on windmills. Well... not exactly on the windmills themselves but on electronic controllers for windmills produced by various manufacturers. And there, of course, I heard about the various types, including the Darrieus, the Savonius, the Obidniak and others. In the milieu, I heard both Europeans and Americans (including Canadians) pronounce [Daréuss], and not [Darieu] like in Danièle Darrieux.. (The u in [daréuss] is pronounced like the French u or the German ü.) The "r" is pronounced the french way, and not "wr" like in English.

Were they right or wrong? All I know is that mechanical and electronic engineers are not linguists. But that seems to be the usual way of saying it among those who work on windmills.
I te rahiraa o te taime, mea pāpū aè te reo ia taì mai i te mafatu, e mea haavarevare roa atoā rä o ia.
La langue est souvent plus éloquente, mais aussi plus trompeuse que le coeur.
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Post by solbjerg »

Thank you Anuanua!
The name was precisely being said in a lot of ways - and I just wanted to know how he himself would have said it.

Thanks too for the information on the horizontical use of the mill - hadn't seen that before!
Good idea in some environments I am sure!
Cheers
solbjerg

Anuanua wrote:
Sisyphe wrote:As said Anuanua, "Darrieu" is a south-originated name, but very common.
"I" said that???

Actually I did work on windmills. Well... not exactly on the windmills themselves but on electronic controllers for windmills produced by various manufacturers. And there, of course, I heard about the various types, including the Darrieus, the Savonius, the Obidniak and others. In the milieu, I heard both Europeans and Americans (including Canadians) pronounce [Daréuss], and not [Darieu] like in Danièle Darrieux.. (The u in [daréuss] is pronounced like the French u or the German ü.) The "r" is pronounced the french way, and not "wr" like in English.

Were they right or wrong? All I know is that mechanical and electronic engineers are not linguists. But that seems to be the usual way of saying it among those who work on windmills.
Olivier
Membre / Member

Post by Olivier »

If people pronounce the "-us" as [ys] like in names from ancient Rome, it might be contamination from the name Darius (the Persian king)
-- Olivier
Se nem kicsi, se nem nagy: Ni trop petit(e), ni trop grand(e):
Éppen hozzám való vagy! Tu es juste fait(e) pour moi!
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Post by solbjerg »

Hi Olivier
I am sure you are right :-) the Persian King was my first association - like your nom de guerre here - my first thought was a jazz pianist I know here in Denmark and then of course Laurence Olivier :-)
Cheers
solbjerg
Olivier wrote:If people pronounce the "-us" as [ys] like in names from ancient Rome, it might be contamination from the name Darius (the Persian king)
-- Olivier