Help!! description for "provision" needed

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

carokos
Membre / Member

Help!! description for "provision" needed

Post by carokos »

I'm working on a paper based on a book written in English. I need to translate the terms in Finnish.
The word "provision" or "provisions" show up frequently, but I'm not sure, what it means. Dictionaries won't help, the translations make no sense in this context.

Could anyone describe the meaning in other words? The book is about special educational needs, special needs education, the rights of disabled persons or persons with learning difficulties, and childcare for disabled.

Here are some quotations from the book:

"The government has launched a range of new initiatives, all designed to improve the quality of provision, support families in bringing up their children and develop a more coordinated approach to planning and provision at local level."

"The expansion of provision for preschool children with exceptional needs must be must be seen in the wider context of services for all young children"

"All children, regardless of backround, are to be offered increased provision at local level"

"More detailed information is required on the range of provision and services that have been and will be made available to children with special needs"

Thank you for explaining it to me. (or translating, if you know the word in finnish... ;) )

Caro
Olivier
Membre / Member

Re: Help!! description for "provision" needed

Post by Olivier »

The context seems to indicate that "provision" means here "what is provided" (= what is given to the people who need it)
-- Olivier
Se nem kicsi, se nem nagy: Ni trop petit(e), ni trop grand(e):
Éppen hozzám való vagy! Tu es juste fait(e) pour moi!
ElieDeLeuze
Membre / Member

Post by ElieDeLeuze »

Offer, what is offered, what is provided, the service, the structures in place in order to provide for the special needs.
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Post by solbjerg »

The word you are searching for should describe the accessory, fitment, paraphernalia, trimmings that is necessary to to make something function as supposed to.
For example the provisions for a small child that are starting in school would certainly encompass books and notebooks, pencilcase, lunchbox for example.
Something akin to "tarvikkeet" in Finnish I think.
Cheers
solbjerg
Last edited by solbjerg on 25 Apr 2012 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
carokos
Membre / Member

Post by carokos »

Thank you so much for your help!

I used the word "service" in my paper and it suited quite well.