Correct my English

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Correct my English

Post by Guest »

investigating on bringing up the son / Investigation on providing the support to the child.

Is it correct English?

Post by Guest »

what is the whole sentence? what are you trying to say? It could possibly be correct (albeit strange) english
Barbara

Reply to "correct my English"

Post by Barbara »

Hi!
Your statement : "investigating on bringing up the son" is incorrect in that form. A better way to put it would be: "An investigation into bringing up children"

the other statement : "Investigation on providing the support to the child" is also incorrect. a better way to put it would be: " An investigation into providing support to children".

hope i helped! :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

they are correct :-o
Demona
Membre / Member

Re: Reply to "correct my English"

Post by Demona »

Barbara wrote:Hi!
Your statement : "investigating on bringing up the son" is incorrect in that form. A better way to put it would be: "An investigation into bringing up children"

the other statement : "Investigation on providing the support to the child" is also incorrect. a better way to put it would be: " An investigation into providing support to children".

i don`t really understand why you changed the articles and the number in the second phrase. by changing that you changed the meaning as well. as far as i understood the point was in providing THE support (particular actions in order to support) of THE child (one and only), and not CHILDREN as you suggest....

true, that the word "investigation" takes the preposition "into", however, it is the case when we are talking about "an official attempt to find out the reasons for something such as a crime, accident, or scientific problem: a criminal investigation;
[+ into]: The authorities are planning to launch a full-scale investigation into the crash which claimed over 200 lives."

however, you can also use the prepositions "under" and "of" and all depends on the context.
"the investigation of computer fraud | under investigation (=being investigated): The whole issue is still under investigation."

i`m not trying to say that i`m right, it`s just an opinion....you are not obliged to stick to it.... :)
Coyote

Correct or incorrect

Post by Coyote »

Hello,

Well, it depends on which or whose son you are talking about. "Investigating on bringing up the son" is incorrect, I agree. I think you have to be a little bit more specific. "Investigating into bringing up YOUR son" probably? It really depends on the meaning of the phrase. Barbara solved it nice but she did change the number of children to be brought up. If number is indefinite, Barbara's solution is correct. Also, the addition of "An" and "into" instead of "of" is gramatically and logically correct.

On the second statement, it is true that it is incorrect, but it is the same case, the changing of the number (of children in this case) is an issue here.

You investigate INTO something, not IN or ON because it changes the meaning of the sentence. Also, in the second sentence you used THE SUPPORT. In this case you use PROVIDING SUPPORT. If you were to say PROVIDING THE SUPPORT THEY NEED for instance, using THE would be correct.

Hope I helped. Please answer with the meaning of the first sentence.

Coyote

Re: Reply to "correct my English"

Post by Guest »

Barbara wrote:Hi!

Thank you very much, Barbara and Coyote. That is my point " the preposition after this word". Thank you indeed.

Regards,