learning the french

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

devidas

learning the french

Post by devidas »

Hello everybody
I want to learn the French but do not want to go through the course in college. Can anybody from you help me?
devidas deshpande
pune
india
mr z

learning french

Post by mr z »

Bonjour!

I advise you to buy some books on basic grammar, easy words etc. You can buy them online at www.amazon.com.

Parler français est chouette!
estrella
Membre / Member

Post by estrella »

and afterwards: go to france!!
from what i've found out, it's a very big difference to learn french in school and do a little bit of talking there.. when you get to meet french people, at once you'll need words you never heard of before ;) because you just didn't need them in the course..
[for example, at school, we sometimes study really hard texts in french; we learn words i don't think i'll ever really need.. (at least not if i don't really get to once live and work there!) - but when i got to meet some french youngsters last summer, i had to look up some simple words like 'notice',.. i don't really know how to explain it know and i can't think of too much of those words i needed then.. but, after all - it's really a big difference!]
hm; and i can just tell you how i myself am trying to learn a bit of spanish.. for example, i really LOVE singing. so, i download latin music, get the lyrics from the internet and try to translate them/look for translations in the internet. besides, there're really quite a few forums for foreign-langues.. :)
you can also try to read french newspapers, little stories or.. dunno. speaking of music, this would also be good because you'd hear the prononciation ..!
anyway; hope i could help you!
DAS MEER IST NIE EINSAM.
captncavern
Membre / Member

Post by captncavern »

estrella wrote:and afterwards: go to france!!
from what i've found out, it's a very big difference to learn french in school and do a little bit of talking there.. when you get to meet french people, at once you'll need words you never heard of before ;) because you just didn't need them in the course..
[for example, at school, we sometimes study really hard texts in french; we learn words i don't think i'll ever really need.. (at least not if i don't really get to once live and work there!) - but when i got to meet some french youngsters last summer, i had to look up some simple words like 'notice',.. i don't really know how to explain it know and i can't think of too much of those words i needed then.. but, after all - it's really a big difference!]
hm; and i can just tell you how i myself am trying to learn a bit of spanish.. for example, i really LOVE singing. so, i download latin music, get the lyrics from the internet and try to translate them/look for translations in the internet. besides, there're really quite a few forums for foreign-langues.. :)
you can also try to read french newspapers, little stories or.. dunno. speaking of music, this would also be good because you'd hear the prononciation ..!
anyway; hope i could help you!
I totally agree... going to France must be the best way to learn French. I have several Swedish friends who really learned French by going there. And now, when we talk together, it's almost like when I speek with my friends back in France.
Of course, it's better if you already know some basics before going, but it's not always necessary. One of my friends went to France for studying not speaking one word of French, and he really speaks good French now.
:hello:
Pourquoi faire simple ?
estrella
Membre / Member

Post by estrella »

captncavern wrote:I totally agree... going to France must be the best way to learn French. I have several Swedish friends who really learned French by going there. And now, when we talk together, it's almost like when I speek with my friends back in France.
Of course, it's better if you already know some basics before going, but it's not always necessary. One of my friends went to France for studying not speaking one word of French, and he really speaks good French now.
yep.. but i guess you really have to spend a lot of time in france, when you go there without knowing ANYTHING (especially grammar rules,..) and finally want to speak really good. i think you simply have to know some rules and.. but practising, like i said, is something totally different - you won't get to have long conversations when you always have to think about which form of the verb you gotta use.. after some time, this has to come from itself i guess
i hope i'll get to this point one day.. :)

by the way - what i wanted to ask you: where's göteburg?!?
DAS MEER IST NIE EINSAM.
Pontus
Membre / Member

Post by Pontus »

estrella wrote:
captncavern wrote:I totally agree... going to France must be the best way to learn French. I have several Swedish friends who really learned French by going there. And now, when we talk together, it's almost like when I speek with my friends back in France.
yep.. but i guess you really have to spend a lot of time in france, when you go there without knowing ANYTHING (especially grammar rules,..) and finally want to speak really good. i think you simply have to know some rules and.. but practising, like i said, is something totally different - you won't get to have long conversations when you always have to think about which form of the verb you gotta use.. after some time, this has to come from itself i guess
i hope i'll get to this point one day.. :)

by the way - what i wanted to ask you: where's göteburg?!?
Not sure you need to know any rules. I know a Persian guy who got to Sweden and learnt speak good Swedish in a month. And the languages are not very alike. Of course it's easier to learn the advanced part if you know the basics, but you can start from scratch too.

So, Göteborg is the second largest town of Seden (counted in inhabitants), lies on the west coast on about the same latitude as Skagen, the northmost part of Denmark.

Post by Guest »

Pontus wrote: Not sure you need to know any rules. I know a Persian guy who got to Sweden and learnt speak good Swedish in a month. And the languages are not very alike. Of course it's easier to learn the advanced part if you know the basics, but you can start from scratch too.

So, Göteborg is the second largest town of Seden (counted in inhabitants), lies on the west coast on about the same latitude as Skagen, the northmost part of Denmark.
okay, i think it's possible - but it isn't easy, i guess..
anyway, children also learn their mother tongue without knowing any other language - so it simply has to be possible.. :)

the people from northern europe are in generally good in languages, or did i get the wrong impression ..?!
captncavern
Membre / Member

Post by captncavern »

Pontus wrote:Not sure you need to know any rules. I know a Persian guy who got to Sweden and learnt speak good Swedish in a month. And the languages are not very alike. Of course it's easier to learn the advanced part if you know the basics, but you can start from scratch too.

So, Göteborg is the second largest town of Sweden (counted in inhabitants), lies on the west coast on about the same latitude as Skagen, the northmost part of Denmark.
I would say that Swedish is a little easier than French to learn. From my year and a half learning Swedish, it seems that there are lot less grammar rules and exceptions to these rules. And also, if you know English or German, a lot of words and rules are the same.

My friend who went to France spent less than 6 months there and speaks really good French. When you have no choice, it must be a lot quicker! Of course, for writting, it's not so good, but once you know the language, it may be easier to learn the grammar.

One question, Pontus... Why do you precise that Göteborg is the second largest town of Sweden in inhabitants? Can't we say it's the second biggest one? :-?
Pourquoi faire simple ?
Pontus
Membre / Member

Post by Pontus »

captncavern wrote: One question, Pontus... Why do you precise that Göteborg is the second largest town of Sweden in inhabitants? Can't we say it's the second biggest one? :-?
It's quite simple, really. Stockholm is the largest town in Sweden counted in inhabitants, and Göteborg is the second biggest, counting the same way.

Counted in area Haparanda is the biggest town in Sweden, and Sala is the second biggest.

Sala and Haparanda are not as dense as Göteborg and Stockholm. However, I'm not sure but I think that Göteborg is the fourth biggest city in Sweden, counted by area, and Stockholm is the third one. :sun:
captncavern
Membre / Member

Post by captncavern »

Okej, tack ska du ha! :king:
Pourquoi faire simple ?
Pontus
Membre / Member

Post by Pontus »

Nöjet är helt och hållet på min sida :sun: