Can I put it this way?

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Can I put it this way?

Post by Guest »

Mr. John, domiciled in house No 12../having domicile in house No. 12/residing at house No.12
kokoyaya
Admin

Post by kokoyaya »

Mr John, who lives in...
captncavern
Membre / Member

Post by captncavern »

Isn't "Mr John, living in house 12" good ? :-?
Pourquoi faire simple ?
kokoyaya
Admin

Post by kokoyaya »

Why not? :)

Re: Can I put it this way?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Mr. John, domiciled in house No 12../having domicile in house No. 12/residing at house No.12

Sorry for my question is not clear enough. My point is that I need to know how to use "Domicle" correctly. As mentioned above, I tried to use it that way, is it good enough, Is it the way the English people use it or not?please.
Beaumont
Admin

Post by Beaumont »

"Guest" would you mind registering on the forum? We will see you with a name or a nickname, not just as an anymous "guest", and it would be more friendly ;)

Thanks in advance!
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
kokoyaya
Admin

Post by kokoyaya »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Mr. John, domiciled in house No 12../having domicile in house No. 12/residing at house No.12

Sorry for my question is not clear enough. My point is that I need to know how to use "Domicle" correctly. As mentioned above, I tried to use it that way, is it good enough, Is it the way the English people use it or not?please.
I don't think (but I'm not native English).
Parasha
Membre / Member

Post by Parasha »

Anonymous wrote:

As a born and bred English person, I offer you my opinion, with help from the Oxford English Dictionary:

"domicile" is used in three ways.

1. as a noun "Mr. John's domicile is located at 12 John St."
2. as a transitive verb "Mr. John is domiciled in house no. 12"
3. as an intransitive verb "Mr. John domiciles/is domiciling in house no. 12"

Number 1 sounds quite formal, but is current. Numbers 2 and 3 are correct, though I don't think I'd ever seen them used that way before today. (Thanks!)

"Mr. John resides..." is much more common.
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."
Piak

Post by Piak »

Beaumont wrote:"Guest" would you mind registering on the forum? We will see you with a name or a nickname, not just as an anymous "guest", and it would be more friendly ;)

Thanks in advance!

I am sorry for not registering my name in the forum, this is because I thought I have registered as a subscriber of you wab site already, and thought that it would cover to this forum. Sorry about that. And one more thing, I can not read French, I don't know what to do exactly.

Thank you for your suggestion, anyway. I do love your forum, I will use it every time I use my internet.

Best regards,
Piak
Pontus
Membre / Member

Post by Pontus »

Nice, I never heard of the word domicile before! :sun:

Maybe cause of it's not very often used but new words is interesting anyway. :king: