Review/Examination

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Piak

Review/Examination

Post by Piak »

I have always had a problem of using a preposition after these words:

Examination and Review: The examination (review) has been made on the reliable documentary evidences already.

Should I use "On" or "of" Or something else after these words to make this sentence perfect, please?

One more question.

Should I say "This certificate is therefore issued as evidence (Or as the evidence)?"

Thank you in anticipation.
Regards,
Piak
Pontus
Membre / Member

Re: Review/Examination

Post by Pontus »

Piak wrote:I have always had a problem of using a preposition after these words:

Examination and Review: The examination (review) has been made on the reliable documentary evidences already.

Should I use "On" or "of" Or something else after these words to make this sentence perfect, please?
I think "On" will be the right word, yes. Using "Of" sounds weird to me.
Piak wrote:
One more question.

Should I say "This certificate is therefore issued as evidence (Or as the evidence)?"

Regards,
Piak
Depends on what you mean. If there is only one evidence, then it in deed is "the evidence". But if it is only evidence it is "as evidence".
Demona
Membre / Member

Post by Demona »

Piak wrote:I have always had a problem of using a preposition after these words:

One more question.

Regards,
Piak
i believe that the usage of the preposition depends not on the words you suggest but the verb you are using with them.
i think that the best varian here would be to say :

The examination (review) [has been] was based on the reliable documentary evidences [already].

the tense depends on the context, however, past simple can be definitely used when writing a review (report, etc.)

perhaps i misunderstood something about the word "already"...why do you need it here?

-----------------
"This certificate is therefore issued as evidence (Or as the evidence)?"

if you want to continue the sentence with the "of" (evidence OF sth.[which seems the most appropriate here, however i cannot be sure for 100%]) then it should definitely be :

This certificate is therefore issued as THE evidence Of blah blah.

but actually i belive that in any case THE evidence should be used. you are talking about a certificate that denotes something really particular (like the evidence of sth.)
Parasha
Membre / Member

Post by Parasha »

It depends on your meaning:
(1) Did the examination examine the documentary evidence? Or;
(2) Did the examination use documentary evidence to examine something else?

In the case of (1)
"The examination/review of the reliable documentary evidence has already been made."

Evidence is most often used as a collective term, although "evidences" may have a special legal meaning I am not aware of.

The sentence I've given you is awkward, and could be worded better if I had a greater understanding of the context.

In the case of (2)
"The examination/review was based on material from reliable documentary evidence."
"The examination/review has already been made using reliable documentary evidence."

"An examination on..." is not correct.
An examination "into", or "of" is correct.
A review "of".
Demona wrote:
Piak wrote: Should I say "This certificate is therefore issued as evidence (Or as the evidence)?"
if you want to continue the sentence with the "of" (evidence OF sth.[which seems the most appropriate here, however i cannot be sure for 100%]) then it should definitely be :

This certificate is therefore issued as THE evidence Of blah blah.

but actually i belive that in any case THE evidence should be used. you are talking about a certificate that denotes something really particular (like the evidence of sth.)
I disagree, Demona and Pontus. In this sentence, in most contexts, there should be no "the" before "evidence".

"This certificate is therefore issued as evidence."
"This certificate is therefore issued as evidence of..."

In order to use "the evidence" in this sentence, you would need to introduce it beforehand in a very specific way. Some examples I've pulled out of my head:

"In order that the agreement may be ratified, evidence must be presented to show that [...].
This certificate is therefore issued as the evidence necessary to the ratification of the agreement."

"This certificate is therefore issued as the evidence discussed in section 3a."

etc.

Sorry. I'm sure this has all been more than a bit confusing. :-?
I try to be thorough!
Anna
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."
Demona
Membre / Member

Post by Demona »

Parasha wrote:
Piak wrote:

sorry, i really don`t have time to think about every thing said above, [finally going away for the vacation :D ] but one thing I would definitely argue about is missing the article in the sentences quoted.
i insist that in case of "of" the definite article must be used, as in :
THE University OF Blah blah
THE evidence OF blah blah...

should i quote the grammar book? :D
Parasha
Membre / Member

Post by Parasha »

Demona wrote:
Parasha wrote:
Piak wrote:

sorry, i really don`t have time to think about every thing said above, [finally going away for the vacation :D ] but one thing I would definitely argue about is missing the article in the sentences quoted.
i insist that in case of "of" the definite article must be used, as in :
THE University OF Blah blah
THE evidence OF blah blah...

should i quote the grammar book? :D
Enjoy your vacation. You are a fortunate person, indeed. I will be spending my vacation writing a paper about Gogol. Not torture, perhaps, but no day at the beach. :D

And perhaps when you get back I can provide you with documentary proof that you are in error. ;)

Bon voyage!
Parasha
Membre / Member

Post by Parasha »

In the meantime, try typing the following (quotation marks included) into google.com, or any other search engine:

"issued as evidence of"

When I did this, I got 427 hits. Now try:

"issued as the evidence of"

One hit.

Not conclusive proof, surely, but there is my start.