difference between suyo and tuyo???

¡Bienvenidos al foro Freelang en español!

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

try again
Membre / Member

difference between suyo and tuyo???

Post by try again »

hello everybody,happy to post some questions here.

I am a Spanish beginner, recently I am pretty confused by quite a few questions. Here they are:

1. what is the difference between suyo and tuyo? since they mean the same thing "yours"? How do you use it? What if you wanna say "his is better than yours"?(suyo es mejor que suyo?)

2. OMG...why suyo has so many meanings?Yours,his,hers,etc etc.This is so unlike to English and Chinese languages. Do spanish speaking people have to find out which meaning suyo indicates based on the context every time? Don't they find it complicated?

3. Have you got any recommendations on books,softwares or websites for learning spanish? For me I am using Rosseta stone,find it awesome for a beginner,coz it use great pictures for teaching and i never get bored. And I'm also looking for other studying materials.

thx a lot!!!Mucho gracias!!!!!
try again~!~
Don't give up on your love
When you fall down ,Just try again \^.^/
kokoyaya
Admin

Re: difference between suyo and tuyo???

Post by kokoyaya »

tuyo = used when you say "tu" to someone (when you are rather familiar with him/her)
suyo =
* used when you say "Usted" to someone (you don't know him/her or he/she is your boss for instance
* used as "his" or "hers"
pc2
Membre / Member

Post by pc2 »

try again wrote:1. what is the difference between suyo and tuyo? since they mean the same thing "yours"? How do you use it? What if you wanna say "his is better than yours"?(suyo es mejor que suyo?)

2. OMG...why suyo has so many meanings?Yours,his,hers,etc etc.This is so unlike to English and Chinese languages. Do spanish speaking people have to find out which meaning suyo indicates based on the context every time? Don't they find it complicated?
The problem with "suyo" (and all the 3rd person pronouns) is that they can also refer to the 2nd person (because of the pronoun "usted", as kokoyaya said).
Actually, you could say "suyo es mejor que suyo", but it would be ambiguous. The fact that the pronoun "suyo" can refer both to "his/hers/theirs" and "yours" may cause many ambiguity in Spanish.
Notice, for example, the following ambiguity:
"El carro es suyo."
This could mean "the car is his", "the car is hers", "the car is theirs" or "the car is yours".
To prevent this ambiguity, instead of using "suyo", you could write:
"El carro es de él." ("the car is his", non-ambiguous).
"El carro es de ella." ("the car is hers", non-ambiguous).
"El carro es de ellos." ("the car is theirs", non-ambiguous).
"El carro es de usted." ("the car is yours", non-ambiguous).
The above examples were just to show that, many times, the use of certain pronouns may cause ambiguity.
Merci de corriger notre français si nécessaire.
Paulo Marcos -- & -- Claudio Marcos
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil
gangstapolitica
Membre / Member

Post by gangstapolitica »

hi i just wanted to say to the brasil guy that it is the same thing in portuguese, they use dele instead of sua/seu[/b] to show that it is his and not your, right ???? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
pc2
Membre / Member

Post by pc2 »

gangstapolitica wrote:hi i just wanted to say to the brasil guy that it is the same thing in portuguese, they use dele instead of sua/seu[/b] to show that it is his and not your, right ???? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Yes, that is correct.
Merci de corriger notre français si nécessaire.
Paulo Marcos -- & -- Claudio Marcos
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil