Bienvenue sur le forum Freelang.com !

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont, Sisyphe

Enzo
Membre / Member

Vérification d'une phrase en anglais

Post by Enzo »

Bonjour,

J'ai un petit doute concernant la phrase suivante :
"I am trying for the second time to pass the driving test. I really need a driving licence to go to work."

Est-elle grammaticalmenet correcte ?

Merci pour vos réponses
Yo tengo tantos hermanos
Que no los puedo contar
Y una hermana muy hermosa
Que se llama libertad
(Mercedes Sosa)
aymeric
Membre / Member

Re: Vérification d'une phrase en anglais

Post by aymeric »

Pour moi il y a un petit problème dans l'anglais, qu'on retrouve précisément dans la traduction littérale en français : "j'essaye pour la deuxième fois de réussir le test de conduite". On dirait plutôt : je vais passer le test pour la deuxième fois, n'est-ce pas ? ça sera pareil en anglais. Peut-être est-ce dû aux faux amis, passer un test = to take a test, et réussir un test = to pass a test.
ElieDeLeuze
Membre / Member

Post by ElieDeLeuze »

I'll be sitting the driving test for the second time. I hope I pass, because I really need a driving licence for work.
Mathea
Membre / Member

Post by Mathea »

Enzo wrote:Bonjour,

J'ai un petit doute concernant la phrase suivante :
"I am trying for the second time to pass the driving test. I really need a driving licence to go to work."

Est-elle grammaticalmenet correcte ?

Merci pour vos réponses
Both these sentences are grammatically correct. But one small correction should be made, at least in US English. (I know nothing about UK English.) In the US, we always say “driver’s license”, and never “driving license”.

In case anyone is wondering, there’s a couple more colloquial ways to word the sentences:
- “I’m going to try a second time to pass the driving test. I really need a driver’s license to get to work.”
- "I'll be trying a second time to pass the driving test. I really need a driver's license to get to work."

I prefer the phrase “to get to work” here, but “to go to work” is just as good.

Aymeric is right. Someone can say “I’ll be taking the driving test for the second time.” But then he should add something like “I hope to pass.” Otherwise we don’t know if the person flunked the test the first time around or if the person took the test first in one state but then has moved to another state which requires him to take the driving test again (so he can get a driver’s license issued by that state).

Elie, your sentences are excellent, as long as we revise them a bit: “I’ll be sitting for the driving test a second time. I hope I pass, because I really need a driver’s license for work.”

Happy Spring and Summer, everyone!
Mathea
Enzo
Membre / Member

Post by Enzo »

Thanks a lot !
Yo tengo tantos hermanos
Que no los puedo contar
Y una hermana muy hermosa
Que se llama libertad
(Mercedes Sosa)