Assalamu Alaikum in Arabic alphabet

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

foxshox
Membre / Member

Assalamu Alaikum in Arabic alphabet

Post by foxshox »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out - I was wondering what the Arabic greeting assalamu alaikum ('peace be upon you', I believe) looked like when rendered in Arabic?

If anyone could help, it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Tim
pc2
Membre / Member

Post by pc2 »

السلام عليكم.
as-salaamu alaikum.
"peace be upon you.".
Merci de corriger notre français si nécessaire.
Paulo Marcos -- & -- Claudio Marcos
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil
foxshox
Membre / Member

Post by foxshox »

Thanks!

I was also wondering about the usage of this phrase: is it purely a greeting, or can it also function as a kind of expression of good wishes or a blessing?

As in, can it have the same meaning as if you were to say 'peace be upon you' to someone in English, or would that be like taking 'farewell' literally, to mean 'fare well in the future'?

Thanks again in advance,

Tim
boulevard
Membre / Member

Post by boulevard »

Hello,
I'm a native speaker and I believe that in spoken language ( dialects) we only use it as a greeting. Same thing for MS Arabic ( language used in books, media, etc). By the way, this is originally the Islamic way of greeting. (However, Christians now use it as well)

Extra info :
The full form of this greeting is : Assalamu alaikum wa rahmat allah wa barakatuh. السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته, both in dialects and MS Arabic, which means : Peace, mercy and blessings from God be upon you. ( long, right ? :P )

You can skip the ' wa barakatuh' part (blessings), and just say assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah.
The answer to the greeting is : wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh.
It's believed that the more you say, the better. Even today, many people say the full form :-o . I don't use this greeting ( except with very religious people :loljump: ). I just say "marhaba" which means : hello.

You can also say 'salamu alaiko', but this form is only in dialects.

Also, a very important thing to know, this greeting is in the plural form no matter what. Even if you talk to one person. ( both in dialects and MS Arabic)

When it comes to MS Arabic, you say assalmu alaikunna if you are talking to a group of women, girls, etc.

That's it.
:hello:
"We must win. The winning side will be happier."
~Toyotama team, SLAM DUNK