Need help

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

boubbie
Membre / Member

Need help

Post by boubbie »

Hi everybody !

May somebody - a native English - tell me if there are some mistakes in this letter.

Thank you in advance !

Dear Madam,

We enjoyed your reply as we are very sensitive to your actions. Further to your e-mail, I would like to introduce you our association. ‘Cyber Nature’ is an association under state supervision by law 1901 ; its main goal is to promote multimedia for the protection of the nature and wildlife. This association was created thanks to the passion of its members working to protect great predators ; thus we wanted to use our professionnal kills in the field of multimedia to serve this cause. Besides the founder has a passion for bears for many years ; she also created a CD-ROM on bears that we will publish at the end of January. The benefits of this CD-ROM will be totally used to finance actions for the protection of bears.

Our office, (and the head office), are located in Roquestéron, in the heart of the Estéron valley, in the Alpes Maritimes (France). For more than four years, we have been offering our skills in the field of multimedia and general informatics, at association fares. We use the benefits of our activities (services, shop...) to finance campaigns to heighten public awareness of wild animals and to protect them, especially the great predators.

For instance, this year, among others, we studied and built up a web site for ARTUS association, who should replace their current site by a more friendly and practical environment; we built up a web site for a school of the valley (http://ecole.pierrefeu.free.fr) together with the children, and then we arranged in the same school a day for the awareness of great predators, especially the bear...

We lend our support to various associations and private individuals who carry out initiatives in the environment protection field:
- collaboration with the GLF (Groupe Loup France, i.e. French Wolf Group)
- since 1993, publication of a compendium of articles dealing with the reestablishment of wolves in France
- collaboration with Mr Christophe Coret (www.ursides.com), who plays an active part in the protection of bears in France
- creation of bear patterns for t-shirts, etc.

We are hoping to develop our voluntary actions even more during the coming years.

Our most significant current project is the realization of CD-Rom on the Bears in Europe, in which of course we treat primarily of the Brown bear but where a presentation of all the species of Bear is proposed.
Another chapter is besides devoted to the suffering of Bears in the world. If you wish, we can include information on your association and your actions in this chapter, giving us (quite quickly) the information you wish to see there and providing us some illustrations will be enough. Some photographs of bears shut up in the cages of the Bear farms in China would suit, as well as some photographs of your actions.

Also within the scope of our proposal for a partnership, we can at first translate your site into French for free and reference it.
Then, we will do our utmost to communicate via newsgroups, forums and contests in order for us to make your actions better known. Afterwards, if needed, the founds in favour of you could be collected through us but we would have to find a transparent way to do so. Moreover, if you have any idea of what we may do to help you, we are open to suggestions.
We sincerely hope that you will be able to act with you for the benefit of our plantigrade friends.

Yours sincerely .
My life is perfect... because I accept it as it is

hope this helps some

Post by Guest »

I tried to go down through this letter and fix any spelling or grammatical mistakes, but honestly it was very well written. You may want to let someone else double check it to make sure I didn't miss anything. :) What is your native language?

Dear Madam,

We enjoyed your reply as we are very sensitive to your actions. Further to your e-mail, I would like to introduce you to our association, ‘Cyber Nature.’ It is an association under state supervision by law 1901; its main goal is to promote multimedia for the protection of the nature and wildlife. This association was created thanks to the passion of its members working to protect great predators; thus we wanted to use our professional skills in the field of multimedia to serve this cause. The founder has had a passion for bears for many years. She also created a CD-ROM on bears that we will publish at the end of January. The benefits of this CD-ROM will be totally used to finance actions for the protection of bears.

Our office, (and the head office), are located in Roquestéron, in the heart of the Estéron valley, in the Alpes Maritimes (France). For more than four years, we have been offering our skills in the field of multimedia and general informatics, at association fares. We use the benefits of our activities (services, shop...) to finance campaigns to heighten public awareness of wild animals and to protect them, especially the great predators.

For instance, this year, among others, we studied and built up a web site for ARTUS association, who should replace their current site by a more friendly and practical environment. We built a web site for a school of the valley (http://ecole.pierrefeu.free.fr) together with the children, and then we arranged in the same school a day for the awareness of great predators, especially the bear.

We lend our support to various associations and private individuals who carry out initiatives in the environment protection field:
- since 1993, publication of a compendium of articles dealing with the reestablishment of wolves in France
- collaboration with Mr Christophe Coret (www.ursides.com), who plays an active part in the protection of bears in France

We are hoping to develop our voluntary actions even more during the coming years.

Our most significant current project is the realization of CD-Rom on the bears in Europe, in which, of course, we treat primarily the Brown bear, but where a presentation of all the species of bear is proposed.
Another chapter is also devoted to the suffering of bears in the world. If you wish, we can include information on your association and your actions in this chapter, giving us (quite quickly) the information you wish to see there and providing us some illustrations will be enough. Some photographs of bears shut up in the cages of the bear farms in China would suit, as well as some photographs of your actions.

Also within the scope of our proposal for a partnership, we can at first translate your site into French for free and reference it.
Then, we will do our utmost to communicate via newsgroups, forums, and contests in order for us to make your actions better known. Afterwards, if needed, the funds in favor of you could be collected through us but we would have to find a transparent way to do so. Moreover, if you have any idea of what we may do to help you, we are open to suggestions.
We sincerely hope that you will be able to act with you for the benefit of our plantigrade friends.

Yours sincerely,
kokoyaya
Admin

Post by kokoyaya »

Thanks for the correction.
I had a part to translate. My native language is French. There may have been a mid-English native amongst us but I think most of the text was translated by French native-speakers.
didine
Freelang co-moderator

Post by didine »

kokoyaya wrote:There may have been a mid-English native amongst us
Who? :-o
Parasha
Membre / Member

Re: hope this helps some

Post by Parasha »

There are some errors that "invité" missed. I will improve upon the good work, and propose some alternatives. Some of them are tricky stylistic points, but I think they would make it flow even more smoothly.

Words that must be deleted are in italics, my replacements are in bold, and my comments in square brackets.
Anonymous wrote:
Dear Madam,

We enjoyed your reply as we are very sensitive to your actions. Further to your e-mail, I would like to introduce you to our association, ‘Cyber Nature.’ It is an association under state supervision by law 1901; its main goal is to promote multimedia for the protection of the nature and wildlife. This association was created thanks to the passion of its members working to protect great predators; thus we wanted to use our professional skills in the field of multimedia to serve this cause. The founder has had a passion for bears for many years. She also created a CD-ROM on bears that we will publish at the end of January. The proceeds of this CD-ROM will be totally used to finance action toward the protection of bears.

Our office, (and the head office), are located in Roquestéron, in the heart of the Estéron valley, in the Alpes Maritimes (France) [You might say "the French Maritime Alps", just because everything else is in English]. For more than four years, we have been offering our skills in the field of multimedia and general information technology, at association fees. We use the proceeds from our activities (services, shop, etc.) to finance campaigns aimed at heightening public awareness of the welfare of wild animals and ensuring their protection. We are especialy concerned with protecting the great predators.

For example, among our activities this year, we studied and built up a web site for the ARTUS association, who needed to replace their current site with a more friendly and practical environment. We built a web site for a local school (http://ecole.pierrefeu.free.fr) together with the children, and then we arranged at the same school a day for the awareness of great predators, especially the bear.

We lend our support to various associations and private individuals who carry out initiatives in the field of environmental protection: [This is a question of specific field-related terminology, but "environment protection" sounds a bit funny to me.]
- since 1993, publication of a compendium of articles dealing with the re-establishment of wolves in France

We hope to develop our voluntary actions even further during the coming years.

Our most significant current project is the realization of a CD-Rom on the topic of bears in Europe, in which, of course, we treat primarily of the Brown bear, but where a presentation of all the species of bear is proposed.
Another chapter is also devoted to the suffering of bears in the world. If you wish, we can include information on your association and your actions in this chapter. This can be easily achieved, and depends only on your prompt provision of the information and illustrations you wish to be included. Some photographs of bears shut up in the cages of the bear farms in China would suit, as well as some photographs of your actions.

Then, we will do our utmost to communicate via newsgroups, forums, and contests in order for us to make your actions better known. Afterwards, if needed, the funds you accrue could be collected through our organization, but we would have to find a transparent way to do so. Moreover, if you have any idea of what we may do to help you, we are open to suggestions.

Yours sincerely,
My correction has come to an abrupt end. The library has unexpectedly closed, and I am being shoved out the door! But I will take another look at this later on.

Hope I've been of some help. I'm certainly willing to discuss the changes I've made, if anyone would like.
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."

Re: hope this helps some

Post by Guest »

Parasha wrote:There are some errors that "invité" missed. I will improve upon the good work, and propose some alternatives. Some of them are tricky stylistic points, but I think they would make it flow even more smoothly.

Words that must be deleted are in italics, my replacements are in bold, and my comments in square brackets.
Anonymous wrote:
Dear Madam,

We enjoyed your reply as we are very sensitive to your actions. Further to your e-mail, I would like to introduce you to our association, ‘Cyber Nature.’ It is an association under state supervision by law 1901; its main goal is to promote multimedia for the protection of the nature and wildlife. This association was created thanks to the passion of its members working to protect great predators; thus we wanted to use our professional skills in the field of multimedia to serve this cause. The founder has had a passion for bears for many years. She also created a CD-ROM on bears that we will publish at the end of January. The proceeds of this CD-ROM will be totally used to finance action toward the protection of bears.

Our office, (and the head office), are located in Roquestéron, in the heart of the Estéron valley, in the Alpes Maritimes (France) [You might say "the French Maritime Alps", just because everything else is in English]. For more than four years, we have been offering our skills in the field of multimedia and general information technology, at association fees. We use the proceeds from our activities (services, shop, etc.) to finance campaigns aimed at heightening public awareness of the welfare of wild animals and ensuring their protection. We are especialy concerned with protecting the great predators.

For example, among our activities this year, we studied and built up a web site for the ARTUS association, who needed to replace their current site with a more friendly and practical environment. We built a web site for a local school (http://ecole.pierrefeu.free.fr) together with its students, and then we arranged at the same school a day for the awareness of great predators, especially the bear.

We lend our support to various associations and private individuals who carry out initiatives in the field of environmental protection: [This is a question of specific field-related terminology, but "environment protection" sounds a bit funny to me.]
- since 1993, publication of a compendium of articles dealing with the re-establishment of wolves in France

We hope to develop our voluntary actions even further during the coming years.

Our most significant current project is the realization of a CD-Rom on the topic of bears in Europe, in which, of course, we treat primarily of the Brown bear, but where a presentation of all the species of bear is proposed.
Another chapter is also devoted to the suffering of bears in the world. If you wish, we can include information on your association and your actions in this chapter. This can be easily achieved, and depends only on your prompt provision of the information and illustrations you wish to be included. Some photographs of bears shut up in the cages of the bear farms in China would suit, as well as some photographs of your actions.

Then, we will do our utmost to communicate via newsgroups, forums, and contests in order for us to make your actions better known. Afterwards, if needed, the funds you accrue could be collected through our organization, but we would have to find a transparent way to do so. Moreover, if you have any idea of what we may do to help you, we are open to suggestions.

Yours sincerely,
My correction has come to an abrupt end. The library has unexpectedly closed, and I am being shoved out the door! But I will take another look at this later on.

Hope I've been of some help. I'm certainly willing to discuss the changes I've made, if anyone would like.
boubbie
Membre / Member

Post by boubbie »

Thanks a lot for your help ! Keep on correcting our errors ;)
captncavern
Membre / Member

Post by captncavern »

Thanks a lot for the correction :hello:
I have translated a part of this text, and I just have one concern on the correction of Parasha. About the web site of the ARTUS association, the original letter in French was saying that the site should be changed in the future. As the new site is not on line yet, I think this piece of information has some kind of importance. Am I right ? If so, how would you say it ? :-?
Pourquoi faire simple ?
Frynn888
Membre / Member

Post by Frynn888 »

Hello, I translated a part of this letter, I think you're right for the corrections.

boubbie
Membre / Member

Post by boubbie »

You'll find the final version of this letter on viewtopic.php?p=4219#4219

Thank you for your help :king:
oursous
Membre / Member

Lettre cyber nature

Post by oursous »

Je tiens vraiment, au nom de Cyber Nature, à vous remercier pour ce travail.
Je n'hésiterais pas à vous recontacter si nous en avons besoin.
Si quelqu'un se sent particulièrement proche de cette cause (la protection des ours, des grands prédateurs...), nous serions ravi de pouvoir travailler avec elle.
La vie associative, c'est aussi ça : recherche d'informations, traductions... tout le travail que les autres ne voient pas mais qui est pourtant indispensable !
Encore merci à tous et à toutes !

Pour répondre à captncavern, Cyber Nature a créé une nouvelle chartre pour ARTUS il y a deux ans mais ils n'ont toujours pas changé leur ancien site pour la mettre, c'est désolant ! Vous pouvez voir la nouvelle chartre présentée sur le site de cybernature http://www.cyber-nature.org/book/sites_ ... artus.html ou http://artus.cyber-nature.org pour le voir fonctionner... c'est vraiment mieux que leur ancien site, non ? Pour info, leur site actuel, c'est http://membres.lycos.fr/artus/

Christophe :hello:
AVES FRANCE
Association de protection des espèces menacées
Parasha
Membre / Member

Post by Parasha »

boubbie wrote:You'll find the final version of this letter on viewtopic.php?p=4219#4219

Thank you for your help :king:
For my part in it, you are welcome.

It sounds as though the thing has been sent off already, but if this isn't the case, I'd like to point out that the deletions I indicated in italics (which was a stupid move on my part) were not deleted in the final version. If it is not too late, please delete them. They make a world of difference.

I read the original letter in the French-language forum, but I felt it was a bit beyond my capabilities to assist in the translation from French to English. I know, though, that it was a great combined effort, and I want to commend the lot of you on it!

Always thrilled to put my English at your service.
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."
laura

another little effort

Post by laura »

Hi parasha,
I'm Laura. There's is an article in English that I translated from Italian. Would you please, (WHEN YOU CAN) give a look at it and check out any errors? Thank you so much!!!! :-)