help

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

laura

help

Post by laura »

:P
Dear friends,
Here below you will find an article I've translated from Italian. Would you be so kind to check out if there are any errors in English? Corrections are welcome.... Thank you so much!!!! :-) This is an article I've translated for myself and put myself to the test.

Frodo Baggins speaks Italianthanks to Davide Perino's voice

They have grown up together; Davide Perino in Prati quarter in Rome, the other, Elijah Woods, in the States. They are both 21 years old and are working their way as star movies. In Italy, Elijah's voice has always been Davide's voice. llWhen Elijay was a little boy, his Italian voice dubbed his ringing boyish voice, and then again in successive movies, his pre-adult, adolescent voice. Now Davide is dubing young Elijah's thoughtful voice, reaching adult age and coping with the first little troubles of life. Talking about troubles, Saruman in Lord of the Rings, should not be underrated.
"One of the most difficult parts" says Davide, who has dubbed Elijay in almost all his films and is still dubbing him in the picture version of Tolkien's trilogy, "is Frodo. I would really like to know Elijay, just because we have started to work together. Throughout these years, I've been following his artistic evolution, I know the way he plays, his expressions. I have tried to get in tough with him, but I haven't been lucky. I keep myself up-dated with his artistic career through the web and when I knew he had been chosen to play Frodo, I started to read Tolkien's trilogy at once. I had already dubbed him, but I still kept hoping to dub him again. I had to get through a test in the States first, in order to dub him".
Davide Perino has been born into the profession. His mother is Silvia Bellini, former film-dubber and his grandfather's name is Gianfranco, the voice of the computer named Hal, in Kubrick's 2001-Odissey in space.
Apart from various movies he has playd in and apart the many films he has dubbed, Davide has featured as actor's Sergio Castellitto son in "Magic moments" and recently he is the protagonist of a Tv commercial.
"I will continue to work as a film-dubber. It has started as a joke, but remaining in the business has been really tough and it's only thanks to my stubbornnes that I made it. I have learned a lot from the colleagues I've worked with. I don't feel comfortable in front of the camera". Well, tips from Eliyah Frodo would be welcome..........
frantsuz
Membre / Member

my 2 pence.

Post by frantsuz »

Only found this :
laura wrote: They are both 21 year old
typo :
laura wrote: I have tried to get in touch with him
(or should it be"I tried" ?)

and that sounds strange :
laura wrote: but I still kept hoping to dub him again
I was still hoping to, maybe ?

that (?)
laura wrote: Davide Perino was born in the profession.
typo :
laura wrote: Apart from various movies he has played in and apart the many films he
wait for a better advice

:hello:
Kto ne kurit i ne p'yot, tot zdoroven'kim pomret.

Re: help

Post by Guest »

Laura,

I've edited your translation. Grammatical, spelling, or technical mistakes are in bold. Those in italics are things that were grammatically acceptable in your translation, but are stylistically awkward. Comments are in brackets.

Of course I haven't read [and couldn't!] the original Italian, which makes it a bit difficult.

Altogether, a very good job!

Parasha

---

Frodo Baggins speaks Italian thanks to the voice of Davide Perino

They have grown up together; Davide Perino in Rome's Prati quarter, the other, Elijah Wood, in the States. They are both 21 years old and are working their way up as movie stars. In Italy, Elijah's voice has always been Davide's voice. When Elijah was a little boy, Davide's Italian voice dubbed his ringing boyish voice, and then again in successive movies, his pre-adult, adolescent voice. Now Davide is dubbing young Elijah's thoughtful voice, reaching adult age and coping with the first little troubles of life.

[unclear: is it Elijah's voice that is reaching adult age and coping, etc., or is it Elijah himself who is reaching adult age?]

Talking about troubles, Saruman in Lord of the Rings, should not be underrated.

[I do not understand this phrase.]

"One of the most difficult parts" says Davide, who has dubbed Elijah in almost all his films and is still dubbing him in the motion picture version of Tolkien's trilogy, "is Frodo. I would really like to know Elijah, just because we have started to work together.

[Why "started"? Earlier in the article it says that they have been 'working together' for a long time!]

Throughout these years, I've been following his artistic evolution, I know the way he plays, his expressions. I have tried to get in touch with him, but I haven't had any luck. I keep myself updated on his artistic career through the Web and when I knew he had been chosen to play Frodo, I started to read Tolkien's trilogy at once. I had already dubbed him, but I still kept hoping to dub him again. I had to pass a test in the States first, in order to dub him".
Davide Perino was born into the profession. His mother is Silvia Bellini, former film-dubber, and his grandfather, Gianfranco, was the voice of the computer "Hal", in Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey".
Apart from various movies he has played in and apart from the many films he has dubbed, Davide has featured as actor Sergio Castellitto's son in "Magic Moments" and has recently starred in a TV commercial.
"I will continue to work as a film-dubber. It started as a joke, but remaining in the business has been really tough and it's only thanks to my stubbornnes that I made it. I have learned a lot from the colleagues I've worked with. I don't feel comfortable in front of the camera". Well, tips from Eliyah Frodo would be welcome...

[This last phrase is also confusing. Do you mean "Elijah's Frodo"?]
Parasha
Membre / Member

Re: my 2 pence.

Post by Parasha »

Can I address your corrections, Frantsuz?

Just in the event you're interested.
frantsuz wrote:They are both 21 year old
По-русски: 21 год. По-английски: 21 years. En français?
frantsuz wrote:
laura wrote: I have tried to get in touch with him
(or should it be"I tried" ?)
To my ear, "I tried" suggests that he tried only once. "I have tried" sounds as though he made repeated attempts.
frantsuz wrote: and that sounds strange :
laura wrote: but I still kept hoping to dub him again
I was still hoping to, maybe ?
Your proposal is more elegant. Laura's construction is certainly not uncommon.

That's all.
Parasha
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."
Parasha
Membre / Member

Re: help

Post by Parasha »

Hello. Sorry, I failed to log on when I wrote my first correction. Please disregard the first version. This one is more correct.

Parasha

---

Frodo Baggins speaks Italian thanks to the voice of Davide Perino

They have grown up together; Davide Perino in Rome's Prati quarter, the other, Elijah Wood, in the States. They are both 21 years old and are working their way up as movie stars. In Italy, Elijah's voice has always been Davide's voice. When Elijah was a little boy, Davide's Italian voice dubbed his ringing boyish voice, and then again in successive movies, his pre-adult, adolescent voice. Now Davide is dubbing young Elijah's thoughtful voice, reaching adult age and coping with the first little troubles of life.

[unclear: is it Elijah's voice that is reaching adult age and coping, etc., or is it Elijah himself who is reaching adult age?]

Talking about troubles, Saruman in Lord of the Rings, should not be underrated.

[I do not understand this phrase.]

"One of the most difficult parts" says Davide, who has dubbed Elijah in almost all his films and is still dubbing him in the motion picture version of Tolkien's trilogy, "is Frodo. I would really like to know Elijah, just because we have started to work together.

[Why "started"? Earlier in the article it says that they have been 'working together' for a long time!]

Throughout these years, I've been following his artistic evolution, I know the way he plays, his expressions. I have tried to get in touch with him, but I haven't had any luck. I keep myself updated on his artistic career through the Web and when I knew he had been chosen to play Frodo, I started to read Tolkien's trilogy at once. I had already dubbed him, but I still kept hoping to dub him again. I had to pass a test in the States first, in order to dub him".
Davide Perino was born into the profession. His mother is Silvia Bellini, former film-dubber, and his grandfather, Gianfranco, was the voice of the computer "Hal", in Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey".
Apart from the various movies he has played in and the many films he has dubbed, Davide has featured as actor Sergio Castellitto's son in "Magic Moments" and has recently starred in a TV commercial.
"I will continue to work as a film-dubber. It started as a joke, but remaining in the business has been really tough and it's only thanks to my stubbornness that I made it. I have learned a lot from the colleagues I've worked with. I don't feel comfortable in front of the camera". Well, tips from Eliyah Frodo would be welcome...

[This last phrase is also confusing. Do you mean "Elijah's Frodo"?][/quote]
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."