is anybody there?

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

laura

is anybody there?

Post by laura »

hi friends
days ago I sent a text for you to correct. Would you please respond me? I have to publish it in a local journal.
thanksssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A doubt: I found this phrase in a journal article: Two thirds of the 22 member senate, which is acting as a jury, must vote against X in order for him to be removed from office. (Can I also write: in order to remove him from office?)

thank you!
kokoyaya
Admin

Post by kokoyaya »

Why don't you post a message in the same topic? It appears as "new" in the same way.
As far as you doubt is concerned, I think both are possible by the first is more idiomatic.
Beaumont
Admin

Re: is anybody there?

Post by Beaumont »

laura wrote:hi friends
days ago I sent a text for you to correct. Would you please respond me?
As kokoyaya said and as I asked you already, post this kind of message in the SAME topic.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
me

reply to laura

Post by me »

"in order to remove him from office" is the better of the two!
Parasha
Membre / Member

Re: reply to laura

Post by Parasha »

me wrote:"in order to remove him from office" is the better of the two!
I disagree. "Avoid the passive!" is the English teacher's eternal cry, but in this case I believe its use to be warranted. The emphasis of the phrase is on the man's removal from office, and not on the two thirds of the senate who will vote against him. The active voice might be better used in a phrase like the following:

His opponents must win a majority vote in order to remove him from office.

This is my opinion. I welcome contradiction.

And laura, my apologies, but I don't have the time to correct your second article at the moment.
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."
laura

thanks

Post by laura »

thanks for the correction.
and a special thank you to Parasha. Don't mind about the article. You can correct it when you want to. I just wanted to know whether you had seen it. I needed a feedback....
Bye,
me

Post by me »

Parasha does make a good point! The beauty is that neither choice is actually "wrong". :loljump: