Hebrew Grammar

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Pontus
Membre / Member

Hebrew Grammar

Post by Pontus »

I'm doing a composition on the Raelians and I wonder if their statement on Hebrew Grammar is correct:
Raelians wrote:Elohim, a plural masculine Hebrew noun, was translated into the Latin word Deus, " God " in the singular.
In the Hebrew language, the singular word for ELOHIM is ELOHA.
In Hebrew, the suffix -im is ALWAYS the mark for the plural. There is no exception to this rule in the entire Hebrew language.

The Bible, which transmitted the idea of the existence of divine entities, should have translated the word by a plural GODS, whereas it was translated in the singular GOD, which is already a mistake in itself, not to say a betrayal of the scriptures.
It is important to note that the notion of plural for Majesty does not exist in Hebrew.

I also wonder if their other statements about what ELOHIM means is true or not:
Raelians wrote:The literal translation of the word Elohim does not signify God but : " Those who came from the sky "
Thanks!

________

[edited by Beaumont - not sure the link to their website was necessary]
43% of all statistics are useless.
Olivier
Membre / Member

Re: Hebrew Grammar

Post by Olivier »

Raelians wrote:Elohim, a plural masculine Hebrew noun, was translated into the Latin word Deus, " God " in the singular.
In the Hebrew language, the singular word for ELOHIM is ELOHA.
In Hebrew, the suffix -im is ALWAYS the mark for the plural. There is no exception to this rule in the entire Hebrew language.

The Bible, which transmitted the idea of the existence of divine entities, should have translated the word by a plural GODS, whereas it was translated in the singular GOD, which is already a mistake in itself, not to say a betrayal of the scriptures.
It is important to note that the notion of plural for Majesty does not exist in Hebrew.
In Biblical Hebrew, God = El or Elohim without any difference (Eloah, written Eloha, is seldom used, for an archaic effect, and it is a reconstructed singular). This does look like a "plural for majesty", just like "my Lord" = Adoni (sg), but speaking of God: Adonai (pl) (which is the allowed way of reading YHWH [Yahweh], the proper name of the Hebrews' God). And there are other plural words with a singular meaning, like mayim = water, shamayim = sky (literal translations say things like "the big waters" when it is just the normal way to say "much water")
Raelians wrote:The literal translation of the word Elohim does not signify God but : " Those who came from the sky "
No, the root El might relate to the meaning "strength" but not "sky".

-- Olivier
Se nem kicsi, se nem nagy: Ni trop petit(e), ni trop grand(e):
Éppen hozzám való vagy! Tu es juste fait(e) pour moi!
Pontus
Membre / Member

Post by Pontus »

Thanks Olivier!

I've been speaking to a translator about this too, but your answer was much more comprehensive! Thanks!

:god:
43% of all statistics are useless.