small ae ligature

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

matt

small ae ligature

Post by matt »

How do you pronounce a small ae ligature (diphthong)?
kokoyaya
Admin

Post by kokoyaya »

1. Please? :-?
2. Thank you? :-?
3. Which language are you talking about?
frantsuz
Membre / Member

Post by frantsuz »

Koko, I'd add "0. hello"
3. indeed
a : if you talk about norwegian for example, "æ" is not a diphtong but a letter.
b : I can't think of any "ae" in french, nor in spanish.
c : I'm not sure "ae" is a diphtong (rather 2 vowels) in latin (in caecus, caelum...), since teachers taught me that all letters were pronounced independently.
d : If you think about the "english" "maestro", it's an italian word so it's not an english rule of pronounciation.
Kto ne kurit i ne p'yot, tot zdoroven'kim pomret.
Parasha
Membre / Member

Post by Parasha »

In English, to my knowledge, it is generally pronounced as the "ee" in "speed".

Æsop
encyclopædia

On the other hand, there is "æsthetic". Perhaps, like every other letter in English, there is no way of knowing, other than knowing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and forgive me if that was not your question.
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."
frantsuz
Membre / Member

Post by frantsuz »

Parasha wrote: On the other hand, there is "æsthetic"
Oxford's pronounciation is also a long "i" in that one. But it's a US english word. In fact, US pronounciation of the others you mentionned is what you were thinking in US english for aesthetic. So probably US speakers tend to pronounce aesthetic "e...".
Another thing is that in the french english dictionary, there's no "æ" in the words you mentionned. There are ligatures in the french words which I know need them in french, in the same dictionary. Not sure the ligatures are needed in english.
Well I'm tired so what I'm wrtiting makes even less sense than usual.
Kto ne kurit i ne p'yot, tot zdoroven'kim pomret.
Parasha
Membre / Member

Post by Parasha »

frantsuz wrote:In fact, US pronounciation of the others you mentionned is what you were thinking in US english for aesthetic. So probably US speakers tend to pronounce aesthetic "e...".
Sorry? I do not understand your meaning.
fratsuz wrote:Another thing is that in the french english dictionary, there's no "æ" in the words you mentionned. There are ligatures in the french words which I know need them in french, in the same dictionary. Not sure the ligatures are needed in english.
Well, yes. Most of the time the ligature is dropped. It is a relic of some sort, but I don't know the whole story as it relates to English. It is just as accepted to write "encyclopedia", and much kinder to ourselves. Saves people the embarassment of saying something like "encyclopAYdia" or "AYsop". I myself have committed the latter offense. :confused:

What does the thing serve in French? I know I've come across it before, but I've forgotten.

Parasha
"Heureusement que j'aime pas les épinards..."
Valvador
Membre / Member

Post by Valvador »

Ae in french is proununced like independant letter : A-E like in aéroport.

It can also be pronunced like è or ai in latin words : Super-novae [syper nove]. :-?

So ae is not important in french, it do not really denote a special sound.
:)
J'ai pas trouvé de nouvelle signature pour l'instant mais ça va venir.