Slovenian to English translation from old photo

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Squeeesh
Membre / Member

Slovenian to English translation from old photo

Post by Squeeesh »

Hi, I came across an old photo in my great Aunt possessions who has passed. She only wrote a vague description on the back of the photo in English but the rest of it is written in Slovenian. We keep a family tree, but haven't found such an old photo from 'the old country' :) Would anyone be able to translate it? It would be hugely appreciated!

thanks!
Attachments
I flipped the sideways text so it would be easier to read.
I flipped the sideways text so it would be easier to read.
Frozen Fractal

Re: Slovenian to English translation from old photo

Post by Frozen Fractal »

Hello,

I just found this forum, while I was searching for free translators, and I saw Your post.
I know it’s been 5 years since You asked, but I will try to answer anyway in case You didn’t get the answer elsewhere.

I’m Slovene, but I always had troubles with reading handwriting of other people. And my translations from Slovene to English are not very good, but let me try, since no one replied to You in those 5 years.

The side text says:
Najini otroci. (Slikano ob 12. uri, po maši)

Translation:
Our children. (Photo taken at 12. hour, after the Mass)
The photo was taken at midday.

The long three lines says:
V spomin najine 50. letnice poroke katero
smo slavili doma pod Kozolcem pošiljava svojemu
sorodniku i dobrotniku v zahvalo.

Translation:
In memory of our 50th wedding anniversary, which we
celebrated at home under the Hayrack, we are sending
to our relative and benefactor in thanks.

On the bottom right, there are three words. It looks like a male name, a female name and a family name:
The first name is probably "Janez", which is a male name. An equivalent name in English would be "John".
The second name is "Frančiška", which is a female name. An equivalent name in English would be "Francesca".

The third word is probably a family name. It’s harder for me to read, but it could be "Jereb", but I’m not 100% sure.

So the bottom three words would be: Janez (and?) Frančiška Jereb.
Squeeesh
Membre / Member

Re: Slovenian to English translation from old photo

Post by Squeeesh »

Hi, thanks so much for replying after all this time ! I did find another translation a few years ago, but I can compare the two now, it was something similar to what you wrote. I'll have to get the photo back out. Thanks again :D