Your favourite English accent

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Maïwenn
Modératrice Arts & Litté.

Your favourite English accent

Post by Maïwenn »

Hello !

I was wondering what is your favourite English accent? And what accent you actually have?

I mostly speak (French-)American English. I travelled to the US when I was at university, and in Denmark, most of my friends had an American accent as well. So it just sounded logical to follow. And, at that time I wanted to contradict our teachers in France, who thought that the BBC accent was THE only one you could possibly consider having.

But now I'm getting tired with American accent, or more exactly, with bad American accents from bad non-native speakers who try to sound cool... And I find it more and more agreeable to hear RP English, even though I used to find it very posh. I also like non-standard British accents, but it's sometimes very hard to understand. I like Irish accent as well. However, I'm not familiar enough with South-African, Australian and NZ accents to have an opinion about them.

But what is yours ? :)
Penn ar Bed
The end of the land
Le commencement d'un monde
ANTHOS
Membre / Member

Post by ANTHOS »

Hi Maiwenn

You should know that my accent is the London accent (Cockney).

For some reason, I don't particularly like many US accents - they are too 'whiny' and I don't like the way the prononouce their r's.

I like these English accents: South African, Scottish especially Edinburgh, Irish especially Dublin, Yorkshire (NE England), Manchester.

RP is actually quite bland so I don't have strong feelings about it, as with many other accents.

Andreas
Crocmiten
Membre / Member

Post by Crocmiten »

I might be a bit away from the point, but I have always been wondering why foreigners like our awfull french english accent. That accent which make us incredibly famous all over the world.
I'm always trying to sound different from others, but I'm sure I'm speaking the same.
Maybe the best way of loosing it would be to go in an english speaking country...but I'm even not sure if it can work or not. Other than that, I heard it's possible to learn an "accent" with some learning methods...But I'm a bit uncertain about the efficiency of such thing.
Maïwenn

Post by Maïwenn »

I agree with you Crocmiten, I don't understand why people like the French accent so much! Very often I want to cover my ears when I hear French people speaking English. I think that, more than the sound of it, it's the image linked to it that appeals to people (France, Tour Eiffel, luxury products, romantic people... I'm not saying it's true, but that's what many foreigners think about France ;) )
Penn ar Bed
The end of the land
Vikr
Membre / Member

Post by Vikr »

I read somewhere that as the 19 th century was the century of Great Britain,(the most powerful nation in the world) the accent one had to have was the British one, the 20 th century was the american (US) one;
I think the century that has just started will be the Indian one, for economic and demographic reasons, so.... :D
ANTHOS
Membre / Member

Post by ANTHOS »

Well in general a trace of a foreign accent is quite attractive. And I reckon, it's especially so with French because of the pronunciation difficulties (the French language is in a league of its own).

I admit that there's a fine line between endearing and irritating, and the threshold varies, depending on who's speaking. The most endearing for me are people who have a very high level of English but who still can't help using French sounds (the French r for examlpe).
Maïwenn

Post by Maïwenn »

Vikr wrote:I read somewhere that as the 19 th century was the century of Great Britain,(the most powerful nation in the world) the accent one had to have was the British one, the 20 th century was the american (US) one;
I think the century that has just started will be the Indian one, for economic and demographic reasons, so.... :D
Indian or Chinese... who knows ? ;)

About foreign accents : I love them in French, but for some reasons they irritate me very quickly in English or the other languages I learnt. Do you feel the same way?
Penn ar Bed
The end of the land
Katya
Membre / Member

Post by Katya »

As an American, I can never really hear my own accent, so it is interesting to hear other people commenting on it. Of course, within America there are different regional accents: New York, Midwestern, Southern, Texan... I also love the Irish and South African accents.
try again
Membre / Member

Post by try again »

well, as a chinese, i speak US accent,and i like bush's accent.actually,in china,us accent is very hot
but i don;t think i could understand the accent in brokeback moutain.

well,i like RP accent,and i like the royal guys of england speak english,so pure.quite not the same from the one in brighton or swh.
now im trying to learn the british accent.it's fun and graceful.
try again~!~
Don't give up on your love
When you fall down ,Just try again \^.^/
boulevard
Membre / Member

Post by boulevard »

As for me, I used to "adore" the American accent, since everybody watches American movies, shows , etc., and my American accent was quite good. Now, I hate it especially the T and R. (Real Hate, capital r capital h)

After getting to know some other accents, I prefer the British accent, but I can't do it well. ( I used to do fairly well for a while then lost it after starting to learn French seriously). I also think Pierce Brosnan's accent is nice.

I'm not sure about other accents(Australian, NZ...)+ I'm not an expert.

To tell you the truth, I have a good pronounciation in French (good not perfect, though my French language isn't that good), and this pronounciation affected my English a lot (learning French affected everything even English grammar ). When I hear how my English now sounds, I don't feel ashamed of it, in fact, I think it's cute :love: :love: (though my sisters, who are fond of English and use it almost all the time think it's awkward) :loljump: .

There are many French characters in American movies such as :
Luc Tessier in French Kiss
Michel Gerard in Gilmore Girls, etc., who speak in this "awful" French-English. and I think it's lovely. There's no need to hate it.( I'm one of those who like it ) ;)

A question : When American actors have the roles of English or Scottish people etc, do you think most of them do the accents well ?

Another question : What accent did Nicole Kidman have in The Others ?(Please don't tell me it was RP)
The same question for Catherine Zeta Jones.

The last question : Did anyone like Scarlet O'hara's accent ?
Last edited by boulevard on 19 Jul 2006 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy_Guy
Membre / Member

Post by Crazy_Guy »

I have lived 3 years in Houston so I caught the accent of Texas , but I kept my frenchy lovely accent.

The frenchy accent is the best accent of the world , you can catch all the girls that you want , don't you think ?
Le silence est l'élément dans lequel se façonnent les grandes choses
boulevard
Membre / Member

Post by boulevard »

I agree, girls like it, but not all.( You only catch empty-headed girls using only your accent)

Good that you kept your " Frenchy one", because I believe that the accent of Texas(Dalas, Houston etc,) is awful.
Crazy_Guy
Membre / Member

Post by Crazy_Guy »

Have you understood the accent of Louisiana ?

That's so hard !
boulevard
Membre / Member

Post by boulevard »

If you mean the accent of the State of Louisiana in the USA, then no because I haven't heard it so far :confused: Or may be I did some time but didn't know that that was the accent of Louisiana (Is it rough and difficult to catch?).
And if you mean something else then also no because I haven't heard it so far.
I think the accent of New Yorkers is the best of Amercian accents I've heard.
Crazy_Guy
Membre / Member

Post by Crazy_Guy »

I think the accent of Louisiana is an other langage , I cannot understand , that's so hard ...

The new-yorkers ? The best ? I don't think so...