Sanskrit Translation for English Phrase

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Lola B
Membre / Member

Sanskrit Translation for English Phrase

Post by Lola B »

Hi there, I recently received a written translation for a phrase I had chosen and I just wanted a secondary source to compare.
I wanted the phrase, The World is Yours translated into Sanskrit writing. I have attached a file of what I was given. If someone could confirm with me that this translation is correct or provide one of their own, that would be greatly appreciated. I am also very interested in hearing the origin of each Sanskrit word.

Thanks in advance!! :D
Attachments
Translation
Translation
pc2
Membre / Member

Re: Sanskrit Translation for English Phrase

Post by pc2 »

salutations,

this translation seems good, in our opinion.
its transliteration is:
जगत्त्वदीयमस्ति
jagattvadīyamasti
the pronunciation is: /jah-gaht tvah-dee-yum ahs-tee/
word-by-word translation: "The world (jagat) is (asti) yours (tvadīyam)".

what do you mean by "origin of each Sanskrit word"? do you mean the root (in the grammatical sense) of each word?
Merci de corriger notre français si nécessaire.
Paulo Marcos -- & -- Claudio Marcos
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil
Lola B
Membre / Member

Post by Lola B »

Thank you so much for confirming this with me!

I was just a little concerned b/c the way the wording was described to me, it didn't seem the words were not in the correct order. But I think that is because the subject/verb agreement is different in the Sanskrit language.

Again, thanks for your confirmation!
pc2
Membre / Member

Post by pc2 »

Lola B wrote:Thank you so much for confirming this with me!

I was just a little concerned b/c the way the wording was described to me, it didn't seem the words were not in the correct order. But I think that is because the subject/verb agreement is different in the Sanskrit language.

Again, thanks for your confirmation!
you're welcome.
the subject/verb order is different in Sanskrit. it's generally SCV (subject-complement-verb). here, complement can be both object or predicative; object is the complement of a verb that denotes action (to do, to go). predicative is the complement of a verb that denotes state or quality (to be, to become). these grammatical terms are valid for Sanskrit, English and other languages.
but there can be other orders (SVC, CVS, etc.).

in this case:
jagat (subject) tvadīyam (predicative) asti (verb)

but the agreement remains the same: the verb agrees with the subject in person and number and the object agrees with the verb in grammatical case (accusative, dative, etc.). thus, the syntactical role of each word (subject, object, etc.) is indicated by grammatical markers (conjugation, declension), unlike English, in which the verb conjugation is poor and there is almost no declension (there is only plural), and the object is not differentiated from the object, except for some pronouns that have an accusative and dative form (me, him, her, them, etc.).
jagat (world) is the subject, thus it's declined in nominative case.
tvadīyam (yours) is the predicative (technically speaking; that is, quality. in this case, it's morphologically an adjective) of the subject, thus also declined in nominative case, agreeing with the subject in gender (in this case, neuter) and in number (singular).
asti (is) is the verb that connects the subject with its predicative (quality). technically speaking, it's the copula.
Merci de corriger notre français si nécessaire.
Paulo Marcos -- & -- Claudio Marcos
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil