Mystery Letter

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

GrubbyWaffles
Membre / Member

Mystery Letter

Post by GrubbyWaffles »

Hello,

I have a mystery letter that I have been trying to figure out for almost 4 years. I do not know the written language on the letter. I am working on my personal family history and came across this letter tucked away in a box. I am not asking any of you to take the time to translate the whole letter but could someone at least confirm the language and possibly the first few sentences. Here is a link, I only have it in .jpg when you look at the page if you click on the image it will enlarge.
http://www.familyhistoryproject.org/?p=11

Thank you in advance.
ANTHOS
Membre / Member

Re: Mystery Letter

Post by ANTHOS »

It's (Modern) Greek

It's probably written some time ago because it uses the polytonic system of diacritics (officially abolished by the Greek government some time in the early 1980s - today, only one diacritic mark is used, namely the acute accent).
ANTHOS
Membre / Member

Post by ANTHOS »

I see there's a date - it was written in 1947
GrubbyWaffles
Membre / Member

Post by GrubbyWaffles »

Thank you for you quick response.

The only part I could make out was the year. Can you read this style of Greek writing?
ANTHOS
Membre / Member

Post by ANTHOS »

yes, the extra diacritics don't change the meaning of the words.
ANTHOS
Membre / Member

Post by ANTHOS »

It is written by someone called Ioannis Alex. Yiannakis (40 years old, lives in a village called Apodoulou) to his brother called Nicoli, who is in America. Nicoli is ill, and Ioannis is desperate to have some news and is urging him to write back. They have brothers called Manolis and Evangelios.

Your pages are from two letters - top pages from one letter, bottom pages from another letter.

Most of the bottom pages give news about friends and family - dead or alive, married or not, children etc.