English -> Old Norse ; Thanks !

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Woland

English -> Old Norse ; Thanks !

Post by Woland »

Hi !
I would like the old norse translation for :  ' Heroes '

I have tried to do it by myself but I found many answers ( oldungr, kappi or kappar, seggr, beimar, bragnar ) and I am totally unable to judge and sort them by their truthfulnes. Plus, I believe them to be the singular form of ' heroes ' while I really need the plural form. 

Anyway, par avance, merci !
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Re: English -> Old Norse ; Thanks !

Post by solbjerg »

Hi Woland
Difficult question
I lean towards kappi which means champion or hero, how it is written in the plural I do not know - perhaps with an s or rather an r at the end. The root of the word is probably competition.
Brage was a Nordic deity who told a lot of stories - hence bragemål - a poetic rendering of the stories(skjald), but they had a "brage cup" which they used to toast with to honour their heroes or those that had accomplished the unusual, or to promish to perform a fantastic deed.
Today in Danish bragetale is usually tranlatable by bragging. (same root word I think)
Sorry that I can't make it any more informative
Cheers
solbjerg

Woland wrote:Hi !
I would like the old norse translation for :  ' Heroes '

I have tried to do it by myself but I found many answers ( oldungr, kappi or kappar, seggr, beimar, bragnar ) and I am totally unable to judge and sort them by their truthfulnes. Plus, I believe them to be the singular form of ' heroes ' while I really need the plural form. 

Anyway, par avance, merci !