Tenses

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Tenses

Post by Guest »

I actually have asked someone in Freelang.net but I haven't got the answer yet. Could any English people tell me correctly? please.
The district has hereby issued the letter of certification to him as evidence.
or
The district hereby issues the letter of certification to him as evidence.
Which one is most corect? please.
Taris

Post by Taris »

It depends on how you mean it to be said.
If it is in a present tense, then you would say "The district hereby issues the letter of certification to him as evidence." because it uses the present tense to say what is happening right now.

If, on the other hand, you mean it to have just happened, you say "The district has hereby issued the letter of certification to him as evidence." because that past tense states that it is a fact without specifying when it happened.

So the difference is all in when you intend the issuing of the letter to have happened
rhandler

Tenses

Post by rhandler »

Hereby indicates that the present document is doing what is said afterwards. Therefore, I think the most correct tense to use is the present tense: "The district hereby issues / certifies ... etc. :drink:
scarlet flame

tenses

Post by scarlet flame »

The problem is that both tenses are correct, and it depends on the context of what you are wanting to say as to which tense you use :roll:

Re: Tenses

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I actually have asked someone in Freelang.net but I haven't got the answer yet. Could any English people tell me correctly? please.
The district has hereby issued the letter of certification to him as evidence.
or
The district hereby issues the letter of certification to him as evidence.
Which one is most corect? please.
Thank you for your kind attention in giving me the answer.

Regards,