Latin Motto to English please

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

RCant31573

Latin Motto to English please

Post by RCant31573 »

I am a retired UK Police Officer and collect Police Insignia. A recent purchase of a job lot, included a patch with a circular Latin inscription, that has intrigued me. It does not in its presentation indicate what is represents, although there is an anchor in the centre, an open book and three leaves on a stalk. The circular motto reads: (starting at 9 0'clock) STATIM SERIUS QUAE NON POSSUNT AGIMUS OIFFICILIMA.
The word 'BERWICK' obviously a place name, appears at the bottom. I believe it may be from the USA. Help in translation would be very much appreciated and would assist me to identify it's origin.
Olivier
Membre / Member

Re: Latin Motto to English please

Post by Olivier »

Perhaps starting at another place (but the position of the verb at the beginning looks wrong?)
agimus difficilima statim = we do the most difficult things at once
serius quae non possunt = (we do) later what cannot be (done)
-- Olivier
Se nem kicsi, se nem nagy: Ni trop petit(e), ni trop grand(e):
Éppen hozzám való vagy! Tu es juste fait(e) pour moi!
krismoniz
Membre / Member

Post by krismoniz »

You've find a patch from the Berwick Boys Foundation. A very unique non-profit camp for boys that builds character, work ethic, and leadership skills. Those who attend and embrace the camps philosophy tend to benefit greatly from its teachings and frequently choose to continue to serve either in the military, public safety or public health. You can find their Facebook page (complete with a picture of the patch) @

www. facebook.com/Berwick-Boys-Foundation-150674362882/
You can find their homepage at www. berwick.org
krismoniz
Membre / Member

Post by krismoniz »

By the way... The translation was very accurate. The motto of the camp is "The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer".