What does "to bog out" mean?

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

Mirentchou
Membre / Member

What does "to bog out" mean?

Post by Mirentchou »

Hi!
Does anyone know what "bog out" means in this sentence please ?
"I’m coming outside and I see these boys blatantly bogging me
out".
The speaker is an English teenager talking to his friends. My guess is that it means "ogle" or something like that but I'm not sure at all. What's for sure is that those boys aren't doing anything nice at all since the speaker later says he tried to hit them with a cosh.
Thank you by advance !
ANTHOS
Membre / Member

Post by ANTHOS »

Personally I've never come across it

I reckon it's a regional word.
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Re: What does "to bog out" mean?

Post by solbjerg »

My guess is that speaker is saying that the crowd is blantantly slowing him down, if you run into a swamp/bog the going will invariably be slow.
Bog down often means getting stuck in the mud. (also running into a muddy problem :-) ;) )
Cheers
solbjerg
Mirentchou wrote:Hi!
out".
The speaker is an English teenager talking to his friends. My guess is that it means "ogle" or something like that but I'm not sure at all. What's for sure is that those boys aren't doing anything nice at all since the speaker later says he tried to hit them with a cosh.
Thank you by advance !
Dada
Membre / Member

Post by Dada »

out".
Can that be "bugging" someone?
It would sound the same in the speech I guess. In Canada "to bug" someone means to annoy someone, in an agressive way (for example a drunk guy in a bar).
It would make sense with your story. Although I'm not sure wether the canadian expression is "to bug" or "to bog" since I've never seen it written.
«C'est une triste chose de songer que la nature parle et que le genre humain ne l'écoute pas.» Victor Hugo
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Post by solbjerg »

bugging him out sounds like a more reasonable explanation.
it could be just a spelling mistake

Cheers
solbjerg
Dada wrote:Does anyone know what "bog out" means in this sentence please ?
out".
It would sound the same in the speech I guess. In Canada "to bug" someone means to annoy someone, in an agressive way (for example a drunk guy in a bar).
It would make sense with your story. Although I'm not sure wether the canadian expression is "to bug" or "to bog" since I've never seen it written.
Tyori
Membre / Member

Post by Tyori »

But in English, when someone is 'Bugging out' it usually means they're freaking out. ... or sometimes tripping. So it would be... "I see these boys blatantly freaking me
out"... Which also seems like very bad english Grammar. ;_; It would have to be closer to "I see these boys, and they're freaking me out." @_@
solbjerg wrote:bugging him out sounds like a more reasonable explanation.

Cheers
solbjerg
out".
solbjerg
Membre / Member

Post by solbjerg »

Hi Tyori
Bug him is like irritating him like a bug, right?
Bogging him out might also mean that they ar blatantly/demonstratively hindering his progress by just standing there in a way that leaves him no path through the "bog", but with no other physical action taken against him.
Perhaps?
Cheers
solbjerg

Tyori wrote:But in English, when someone is 'Bugging out' it usually means they're freaking out. ... or sometimes tripping. So it would be... "I see these boys blatantly freaking me
out"... Which also seems like very bad english Grammar. ;_; It would have to be closer to "I see these boys, and they're freaking me out." @_@
solbjerg wrote:bugging him out sounds like a more reasonable explanation.

Cheers
solbjerg
out".