Input method

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

solbjerg
Membre / Member

Input method

Post by solbjerg »

Hi all.
Given the clientelle in this forum I thought that this subject might come in handy :D
You have sometimes seen me go on about the input of character by using Alt+ character number.
This works most places but in some applications only up to number 256 (i.e. notepad)
In Word it is possible to use the Hexadecimal numbers too by writing the number – for example 3C0 and then place the cursor directly behind the zero and press Alt+x this will change the number to the sign π (phi), this can be achieved too by writing Alt+0960. But it only works in Word and some other Office programs – it does not work in Notepad for example.
The other day I came across a possible solution to this.
It involves the use of hex-numbers. What you do is that you press the key Alt (keep it down) and then press the plus sign + on the number board and then the Hex number on the keyboard 3c0 .
But the possibility is not always present in the registry, and have to be inserted there before it works.
The address in the registry is: HKEY_Current_User/Control Panel/Input Method
You then have to right-click in the right pane and choose
New/StringValue and Name it EnableHexNumpad
then right click on that and choose Modify and give the Value 1
Restart your computer and try the method out! :D
Cheers
solbjerg
p.s. If you are using a laptop you will have to use the FN key first and then the key that lights up and then choose Alt and the + sign (on the side of the relevant key), after that (still keeping the Alt key down you can leave the FN setup) and then press the Hex number on the normal keyboard.
Edit: You may have to use the laptop version of the numberpad to write the numbers, while the letters should be written on the normal keys.

'