English to Spanish (Mexican) for Flu Virus Info Poster

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

DesElms
Membre / Member

English to Spanish (Mexican) for Flu Virus Info Poster

Post by DesElms »

My wife co-owns a couple of restaurants, the vast majority of the employees of which are Mexican-Americans... most of whom speak/read little or not English. She wants to create a one-page poster (actually, it will probably just be an 8.5"x11" piece of paper... so I don't know if that qualifies as a "poster," but she's going to hang it on the wall where they clock-in, and also hand-out copies with English on one side and Spanish on the other) that conveys to her employees important information about the rapidly unfolding Swine Flu outbreak. For the most part, I'm simply going to take copy from the web site of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and then augment it with restaurant-specific things which she wants to convey to her people so that they will take extra precautions to keep from either getting sick or making others sick.

Neither her nor my Spanish is good enough for something like this. Most of the time, whenever we do write something down in Spanish for her employees to read, they giggle. The understand, of course... but they say it's grammatically incorrect... which we completely understand. We're surprised, actually, that that's the worst they can say about it. [grin]

I'm going to be working on the English version of the poster and when I finish it, I'm going to turn it into a PDF file. If I were to do that, and then put said PDF file up on one of my web servers so that I could come back here and put a link to it so that those here could easily view it, is there any chance that I could get a little free help to convert it into (preferably Mexican/Central-American style) Spanish?

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughtful consideration.
Manuela
Freelang co-moderator

Re: English to Spanish (Mexican) for Flu Virus Info Poster

Post by Manuela »

Hello,

You can post the message here and I will do the translation myself. You can also send me a private message (mp) and I will send it back to you, also in private. Do as you prefer.

Cheers,

Manuela
Guten Tarte! Sorry for the time...
DesElms
Membre / Member

Post by DesElms »

Wow. Thirteen days for a reply (and I'm not suggesting that that's anyone's fault, by the way... but it is curious).

The need has sort of passed, at this point. Time was of the essence. The essentials of the message have, by hook or by crook, been conveyed to the workers in these past 13 days.

That said, President Obama is warning that, who knows, the virus could return with a vengeance during the next flu season... which means that we'd need it.

The messasge is long. Would the moderators, here, allow me to just provide the URL where the English PDF file version of the poster may be seen at this moment? That would be easier if I did it right here, in public.

Or, what the heck... doing it privately would be fine... except that I sorta' wanted anyone who finds the poster here to be able to benefit from what it says; and feel free to use/adopt it themselves if they wanted to.

The other problem is that at this precise moment, the poster's already out of date. It was written, and provided certain information, which has now changed a little. And, no doubt, we'll want to re-word it by next flu season.

So, I'm wondering if we should just make sure that we know how to get in touch with one another so that I can ask you to do it next flue season.

How should we do this?
Manuela
Freelang co-moderator

Post by Manuela »

Hello,

I am sorry for the delay. I practically never visit the English forum and I posted my answer as soon as I read your message. Since then, I have been checking twice a day to see if you had posted something. Sorry you took things that way. It would be nice if you understood that people who participate in this forum are volunteers, and aren't available all the time. Also, there are so many requests, that it sometimes happen that we miss some of them.

I am on charge of the spanish forum, so next time you need something in that language, post it there if you can.

Thank you, and sorry again.
Guten Tarte! Sorry for the time...