sanskrit translation

Forum for English and all other languages.

Moderators: kokoyaya, Beaumont

abhita
Membre / Member

sanskrit translation

Post by abhita »

Can anyone help with translation from English to sanskrit of "White Dove"
many thanks
abhita :D
Zibaldone
Membre / Member

Re: sanskrit translation

Post by Zibaldone »

Namaste abhita !

White dove => श्वेतकपोत śvetakapota pour un mâle et श्वेतकपोती śvetakapotī pour une femelle.
अन्तः शून्यो बहिः शुन्यः शुन्यः कुम्भ इवांबरे।
अन्तः पूर्णो बहिः पूर्णः पूर्णः कुम्भ इवार्णवे।।
abhita
Membre / Member

Post by abhita »

It is for a female, so many thanks for the prompt reply. can you write it phonetically for me, ie how is the first s with the accent pronounced etc.?
abhita :rolmdr:
Zibaldone
Membre / Member

Post by Zibaldone »

abhita wrote:It is for a female, so many thanks for the prompt reply. can you write it phonetically for me, ie how is the first s with the accent pronounced etc.?
abhita :rolmdr:
le ś est une sifflante palatale. Dans la pratique on ne fait guère la distinction avec une autre sifflante, rétroflexe celle-ci et notée ṣ. Donc, le plus souvent dans une translittération approximative, elles sont rendues par "sh", donc "shveta" (un "sh" anglais, faut-il encore préciser).
Si l'on veut rester précis, la sifflante palatale est à rapprocher de celle que l'on retrouve en allemand dans le pronom ich par exemple, qui est notée en alphabet phonétique [ç] (ou quelque chose d'approchant). Pour la prononcer, il faut laisser la langue de la position du "i" et expirer l'air pour la sifflante.
Last edited by Zibaldone on 09 Apr 2009 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Vikr
Membre / Member

Post by Vikr »

la différence entre et est la même qu'entre chien et chat
Zibaldone
Membre / Member

Post by Zibaldone »

Vikr wrote:la différence entre et est la même qu'entre chien et chat
C'est bien vu, mais je dois dire que je prononce le "ch" de chien et celui de chat de la même façon et qui est différente du "ch" palatal que j'entends si je dis : Mein Weibchen (palatal [ç]) ist schön (chuintante [ʃ] la même que pour "chien" et "chat").
Cela dit, ces nuances se sont probablement estompées avec le temps, encore qu'il me semble me souvenir avoir entendu cette distinction sauvegardée dans des enregistrements de chants védiques. Cependant, lorsqu'il m'arrive de discuter avec un ami indien et qu'il prononce ces mêmes phonèmes, la distinction ne me saute pas à l'oreille.
pc2
Membre / Member

Post by pc2 »

salutations,

we think that the pronunciation of श्वेतकपोती śvetakapotī can be approximated to English as shvay-tah-kah-poe-TEE.
Zibaldone and Vikr: "ष" is a retroflex letter, therefore it is pronounced like "sh" but with the tongue rolling slightly back (we don't know whether modern Indian languages, including Sanskrit, natively spoken by a very small quantity of people today, makes this distinction, but Classical Sanskrit surely does).
Merci de corriger notre français si nécessaire.
Paulo Marcos -- & -- Claudio Marcos
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil
abhita
Membre / Member

Post by abhita »

Hi there everyone, many thanks for all the replies re pronunciation. I only understand english, so I could not make the best use of those posted in french. Maybe a translation??? After that, the topic may be closed, thanks again
abhita ;)
pc2
Membre / Member

Post by pc2 »

abhita, the discussion between Zibaldone and Vikr was about the difference between the sound of श and ष in Sanskrit, to which we replied in our response.
here is an attempt to translate the discussion to English (although we don't have much practice with French, so, if we mistranslated anything, let us know).
Zibaldone wrote:The ś is a palatal sibilant. In practice, no distinction is made with another sibilant, which is retroflex and represented as ṣ. So, most frequently in an approximative translitteration, they are both written as "sh", hence "shveta" (an English "sh" anglais, if it is necessary to specify again).
If one wants to remain precise, the palatal sibilant can be approximated to the one found in German, for example, in the pronoun ich, which is represented, in the phonetic alphabet, as [ç] (or something approaching that). For pronouncing it, it is necessary to let the tongue in the position of "i" and to exhale air for the sibilant sound.
Vikr wrote:the difference between श and ष is the same found between "chien" and "chat"
Zibaldone wrote:This is well observed, but I have to say that I pronounce the "ch" of chien and the one of chat the same way, and that it is different from the palatal "ch" I hear if I say : Mein Weibchen (palatal [ç]) ist schön (hissing [ʃ], the same of "chien" and "chat").
That being said, these small differences are probably blurred with time, even that it seems that I have heard this distinction protected in registrations of Vedic songs. However, when I talk with an Indian friend and he pronounces these same phonemes, I can't notice the distinction.
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil
abhita
Membre / Member

Post by abhita »

Many thanks Zibaldone and to all who helped.
abhita......still don't know what the spanish contributions said.....
pc2
Membre / Member

Post by pc2 »

abhita wrote:Many thanks Zibaldone and to all who helped.
abhita......still don't know what the spanish contributions said.....
the contributions are in French, not Spanish.
we have translated the French contributions to English in the previous reply.
they were discussing about the difference in pronunciation between the sibilant letter श (ś) (which is used in the word śvetakapotī) and another sibilant letter, ष (ṣ), in Sanskrit.
Last edited by pc2 on 19 Apr 2009 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Brasil/Brazil/Brésil
Vikr
Membre / Member

Post by Vikr »

abhita wrote:.still don't know what the spanish contributions said.....

where have you seen any spanish contributons ?

the only spanish alike is the SIGNATURE of pc2 !!!! and it is in brazilian portuguese !